Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puppy Pads Could this be used for an absorbent layer?

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

was wondering if this would be suitable for an absorbent layer under the fleece. (sorry it is PetSmart, not trying to support pet stores and will see if I can order it from somewhere else)

(broken link removed)

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Yes people use puppy pads but if you use straight puppy pads they may end up sticking to the fleece after being peed on. So if they were you I'd lay the puppy pads down then a towel then fleece. Just so you don't have any problems with it sticking cause that would be an awful mess.

Cavy.crazy

Cavy Slave
It looks like it would be great to use. The reviews said it was great but the description said it was made from 100% polyester so I wonder if pee goes through like fleece? If you decide to get it tell us how it works!:)

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Yes people use puppy pads but if you use straight puppy pads they may end up sticking to the fleece after being peed on. So if I were you I'd lay the puppy pads down then a towel then fleece. Just so you don't have any problems with it sticking cause that would be an awful mess.

Sorry I had to edit

Aisteraina

Cavy Slave
If you do use puppy potty pads, you will have to change them at least once a day.

I wouldn't use it for the absorbant layer alone because (as @Starthecavy123 said) it will get the coroplast all sticky and icky.

I just bought a U-Haul furniture pad at my local Ace hardware store for the absorbent layer (only $8.00), because personally I think the towels smell bad very quickly. I then have fleece on it, and then I fold a potty pad and put it in the places where my piggy pees and poops the most--near the food, etc. She uses the potty pads as a litter box, and now wherever I put potty pads, she uses the bathroom there. So I guess puppy potty pads can potty train pigs, too. ;)

Good luck! :)

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
If you do use puppy potty pads, you will have to change them at least once a day.

I wouldn't use it for the absorbant layer alone because (as @Starthecavy123 said) it will get the coroplast all sticky and icky.

I just bought a U-Haul furniture pad at my local Ace hardware store for the absorbent layer (only $8.00), because personally I think the towels smell bad very quickly. I then have fleece on it, and then I fold a potty pad and put it in the places where my piggy pees and poops the most--near the food, etc. She uses the potty pads as a litter box, and now wherever I put potty pads, she uses the bathroom there. So I guess puppy potty pads can potty train pigs, too. ;)

Good luck! :)

Just a question - do the U-haul pads do a good job at masking some of the waste/pee odor?

Aisteraina

Cavy Slave
Yess, I have switched from towels to U-Haul pads with some potty pads and it does a WAAAAAAY better job of masking odors, because U-Haul pads are made from recycled denim. :D

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Oh yes I now agree with people who say towels smell worse than uhaul pads. I love my uhaul pads and will never go back to towels :)

pigslave1

Cavy Slave
I would think this will work nicely

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
Just a reminder - this is a reusable one, so what is the proper way to use it? How often would I have to clean it?

Aisteraina

Cavy Slave

If you use it under the fleece, you can either place a few down in a row, or for better absorbancy fold them in half and place them.

I put one or two on top of my fleece, and I fold them and use them as litter boxes. :eek:

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if everyone even looked at the link. These would be used like a liner. No different from the liners sold for the cages. It is a cloth top that wicks to the under absorbent core. I am sure you can use pretty fleece on top of it. These are not the throw away thin ones. And you wash the same as a liner, no fabric softener.

Aisteraina

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if everyone even looked at the link. These would be used like a liner. No different from the liners sold for the cages. It is a cloth top that wicks to the under absorbent core. I am sure you can use pretty fleece on top of it. These are not the throw away thin ones. And you wash the same as a liner, no fabric softener.

OMG THANK GOODNESS you pointed that out! I am sooo sorry @PiggleLove2013 !!! Do NOT listen to anything I posted. Curse my stupid lazy self. @lunarminx , from now on I am going to pay extra close attention to things. :eek:

You DON'T have to change the puppy pads once a day, (that would be a HUGE waste of money... )you only have to wash it once a week.

I read the description and it says it is used as an absorbent layer. It looks perfectly fine to me. It shouldn't go through to the coroplast, but if it does, you could just fold it or buy another one to double it for 2x the absorbancy.

Again, I am SOO sorry for the misunderstanding. :sad:

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
OMG THANK GOODNESS you pointed that out! I am sooo sorry @PiggleLove2013 !!! Do NOT listen to anything I posted. Curse my stupid lazy self. @lunarminx , from now on I am going to pay extra close attention to things. :eek:

You DON'T have to change the puppy pads once a day, (that would be a HUGE waste of money... )you only have to wash it once a week.

I read the description and it says it is used as an absorbent layer. It looks perfectly fine to me. It shouldn't go through to the coroplast, but if it does, you could just fold it or buy another one to double it for 2x the absorbancy.

Again, I am SOO sorry for the misunderstanding. :sad:

We all do that, don't worry. We speed read because life is too busy sometimes.

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
No problem Aisteraina! I do it too.

Awesome, I'll have to get a couple of these. I have an idea on how I'd like to use them, too.

Aisteraina

Cavy Slave
No problem Aisteraina! I do it too.

Awesome, I'll have to get a couple of these. I have an idea on how I'd like to use them, too.

Thanks, :) and good luck! :eek:

Rakkk

Cavy Slave
I use them, and they are working out great. Not sticking to the fleece at all!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.