Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! I'm New (:

LilPiggies3

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hey! My name is Melissa, call me Mel or LilPiggies, because this is my guinea pig cages FORUM account :)
I have 2 little boys, called Alfie and Peter.
Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 17.10.25.png This is Peter, he is Alfie's brother, 10 weeks old.
Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 17.14.26.pngThis is Alfie, he is Peter's brother, 10 weeks old.

They are VERY skittish and run away from my hand whenever it comes towards them.

If you have babies, and have the same cage as me, (I will post it sooon) the grey part can easily snap off. When you snap it off, give them lots of veggies, (as I like to do in the mornings) and THEN put the grey thing back after. They are VERY scared, they wont like to come out much. If you do it like I tell you (It will work with hidey-huts) then they will purr and enjoy you.

I will post tips and etc, etc into here!

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
Hi @LilPiggies3, welcome! Alfie and Peter are GORGEOUS!!!
I was just wondering about your cage, how big is it?

LilPiggies3

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
L95 x W57 x H46cm

Thank you for calling Alfie and Peter gorgeous, I bet they blushed :)

Since your piggies are still young (so I'm assuming small) that cage is alright, but as they get bigger you'll have to up size your cage. It's too small. A C&C cage is a cheap easy to make cage (as well as great!). You can customise them how you want. A cage should be at least 1 square foot (but the bigger the better(!))! I hope this helped. Please take this into consideration.

Last edited:

LilPiggies3

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Since your piggies are still young (so I'm assuming small) that cage is alright, but as they get bigger you'll have to up size your cage. It's too small. A C&C cage is a cheap easy to make cage (as well as great!). You can customise them how you want. A cage should be at least 1 square foot (but the bigger the better(!))! I hope this helped. Please take this into consideration.

I will, my dear. The pet shop person who was helping me choose supplies said that cage was big enough for them when they were bigger. But I will take your advice.

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
I will, my dear. The pet shop person who was helping me choose supplies said that cage was big enough for them when they were bigger. But I will take your advice.

Yes, pet shops aren't the best place to get advice on cages on, once I saw a guinea pig crammed in a hamster cage, the poor thing barely had enough food or water! It looked so unhealthy and didn't have the liveliness a guinea pig should have! I wanted to save it and give it a better life but I couldn't risk getting my piggies sick as well! ): I was also told that pet shop cages are big enough, but then I soon found out they're not, they don't have enough space to run around and since you have 2 boars they may have troubles bad start fighting!

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
They are very darling little dudes, but their cage really isn't big enough at all. It should be 1 square meter (~10.5 square feet), or actually slightly more for boys because they are usually more territorial than girls. Right now they're still sweet little babies, but they'll hit adolescence around 5-6 months old, and if they don't have enough space when that happens they are more likely to fight and need to be separated permanently.

Fay

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums :) I learned so much from this place so I hope you will find it just as helpful. Your pigs are adorable! I like Alfies white spot :eek:

Just to note, remember that pet stores are there to sell products. They aren't necessarily interested in what is good for your pet (sometimes the things they sell are even harmful). I personally made some big mistakes by trusting what a pet store employee told me.

If you're curious about recommended cage sizes for guinea pigs check the 'main' tab at the top, just add one extra grid since you have boys and they need a bit extra :). If you need help finding materials just let us know!

Another great website that I'd recommend reading in general is: https://www.guinealynx.info - Especially the care and medical guides.

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
@LilPiggies3
I am so sorry I meant they are suppose to be 1 square meter (not 1 square foot)!!!

LilPiggies3

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Yes, pet shops aren't the best place to get advice on cages on, once I saw a guinea pig crammed in a hamster cage, the poor thing barely had enough food or water! It looked so unhealthy and didn't have the liveliness a guinea pig should have! I wanted to save it and give it a better life but I couldn't risk getting my piggies sick as well! ): I was also told that pet shop cages are big enough, but then I soon found out they're not, they don't have enough space to run around and since you have 2 boars they may have troubles bad start fighting!

(ALSO TO PANDAPIGGIE)
I am 9 years old. I live in a flat, and my mother made this forum account for me. We do not have alot of space in the living room for the poor piggies. I will save up pocket money eventually to buy a bigger cage, and place it on my HIGH desk. I am scared they will be scared on that desk though. Yes, Alfie was snatching orange bell pepper from Peter :eek:
It has concerned me.
My mother is NOT comfortable with them on the floor, so I have to buy grids if they become 5-6 months and we don't buy them a bigger cage.
I am also scared if they get scared on their own. They are scared of my hand, I haven't really tamed them yet, and Alfie hides behind Peter and Peter protects Alfie from my hand.

LilPiggies3

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Welcome to the forums :) I learned so much from this place so I hope you will find it just as helpful. Your pigs are adorable! I like Alfies white spot :eek:

Just to note, remember that pet stores are there to sell products. They aren't necessarily interested in what is good for your pet (sometimes the things they sell are even harmful). I personally made some big mistakes by trusting what a pet store employee told me.

If you're curious about recommended cage sizes for guinea pigs check the 'main' tab at the top, just add one extra grid since you have boys and they need a bit extra :). If you need help finding materials just let us know!

Another great website that I'd recommend reading in general is: https://www.guinealynx.info - Especially the care and medical guides.

Oh thank you Fay! The pet store person also said she had 2 guinea pigs for 5-6 years. My mother trusts her. I might talk some sense into my Mother and read that website. (For now)
And yes, Alfie's white spot IS cute. But he might have some fungus ):

just8be8free

Cavy Slave

LilPiggies3

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
@LilPiggies3
Are you 9 years old?!?!

Why yes, I really don't see a problem with it though. I held Alfie once, he was probably scared of the cab ride. And Peter is getting to know me well, seeing as I didn't hold him before. And I'm turning 10 in 4 months. (Almost 3 months)

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
@LilPiggies3
There's nothing wrong with it, it's just that you sound really smart compared to most 9 year olds I've met. All 9 yr olds I know can't spell as well as you!!! It just really surprises me!!!

LilPiggies3

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
@LilPiggies3
There's nothing wrong with it, it's just that you sound really smart compared to most 9 year olds I've met. All 9 yr olds I know can't spell as well as you!!! It just really surprises me!!!

Omg! That makes me blush! Thank you! :eek:

Fay

Cavy Slave
Oh thank you Fay! The pet store person also said she had 2 guinea pigs for 5-6 years. My mother trusts her. I might talk some sense into my Mother and read that website. (For now)
And yes, Alfie's white spot IS cute. But he might have some fungus ):

You should definitely check out Guinea Lynx, it's a very well respected website and they're especially knowledgeable about medical issues and have great tips on keeping your pigs healthy. However, you can also find lots of great information on these forums by using the search function and just looking around.

For example, I found the vegetable chart really helpful so I'd recommend printing it out (do make sure to also read to second post beneath it as it covers what things not to feed your pigs):

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

You can also find some great cage ideas in the 'Photos' tab at the top. Both in the C & C style (That stands for cubes and coroplast), or alternative DIY builds. If you source your own materials you should be able to build it fairly cheaply, C&C cages often work out cheaper than pet store cages yet provide more space and are easier to work with.

If you are unsure about how much the extra space matters; you can read the 'testimonials' tab to see just how big a difference the extra space makes in a pigs life. I also started out with a pet store cage, the change when I put them in a bigger cage was immediate. They became far more active and happier :eek: Also healthier because they can run big laps around the cage when they feel like it.

LilPiggies3

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
You should definitely check out Guinea Lynx, it's a very well respected website and they're especially knowledgeable about medical issues and have great tips on keeping your pigs healthy. However, you can also find lots of great information on these forums by using the search function and just looking around.

For example, I found the vegetable chart really helpful so I'd recommend printing it out (do make sure to also read to second post beneath it as it covers what things not to feed your pigs):

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

You can also find some great cage ideas in the 'Photos' tab at the top. Both in the C & C style (That stands for cubes and coroplast), or alternative DIY builds. If you source your own materials you should be able to build it fairly cheaply, C&C cages often work out cheaper than pet store cages yet provide more space and are easier to work with.

If you are unsure about how much the extra space matters; you can read the 'testimonials' tab to see just how big a difference the extra space makes in a pigs life. I also started out with a pet store cage, the change when I put them in a bigger cage was immediate. They became far more active and happier :eek: Also healthier because they can run big laps around the cage when they feel like it.

Why thank you! This is simply WONDERFUL! You're knowledge is great! (y) <---- it's supposed to be a thumb if it doesn't work.
I will do ALL of those tips! Thanks Fay!

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Welcome @LilPiggies3 ! I just love Alfie's colors, that's my favorite piggy colors (the tan with white crest)!

Sorry to repeat everyone, but I just want to say how much I agree with the need for space. I adopted two 3 1/2 year old females about 3 weeks ago and they have always been together. When we brought them home, we borrowed a friend's large pet store cage and they lived in it for about a week. They really did NOT GET ALONG in there! They chased and rumbled and occasionally nipped at each other. Now they are living in a large cage I built and they hardly do those things anymore. Maybe you could ask for a C&C cage as a birthday or holiday gift? Also I have found that it is much easier to clean my large cage because it doesn't have a top/lid.

Have patience with those little guys, bribe them with veggies, and soon they will come to love you too!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.