Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flags Just making sure.

megakamattsmom

Cavy Slave
I have an appointment to meet these two lovelies. Im unsure if they are a breeder. I rehomed my first two girlz from a owner with no problem. I have gone to my local rescue two weeks running and still no bonded females. They have several males however.
I just want to check if this ad is of a breeder.
TIA
(broken link removed)

mecole

Cavy Slave
Though I'm not an expert in these things, this ad really seems strange and suspicious to me. What kind of person rehoming a guinea pig would make the price "$39.99"? And the weird price comparisons to pet stores, and very specific prices for hay and pellets make it seem like a guinea pig business? To me, it definitely seems like a breeder, but hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable than I can add their input.

Pomegranate

Cavy Slave
It looks like a breeder to me...I've just seen many similar listings from breeders before that are local to me. They're also pretty massive looking for seven week olds...

megakamattsmom

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the tip. I felt that way. I am looking to re home them. Not purchase. I will text him and let him know this. I had asked him earlier but he avoided the question.

megakamattsmom

Cavy Slave
Since telling him "no thanks" he lowered the price to 20.00 for both.... He said he wasn't a breeder:confused:

GiuneaPigLover

Cavy Slave
Well something must be wrong because I just checked and they removed their post. I would not trust it.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
They probably got marked as prohibited.
I've been checking craigslist for piggies for a friend of mine and have been having to contact a few of the sellers because their pigs are in horrid conditions. I contact one that have four pigs in a wire bottomed cage :( that's just bumblefoot waiting to happen....

megakamattsmom

Cavy Slave
No, it's still there, under community.
(broken link removed)

Soecara

Cavy Slave
In my opinion the ad is somewhat suspicious, there is no way those girls are 7 weeks old. They look like they are 6 months or older as they appear to be near if not completely fully grown. So that begs the question why lie about their ages?

lisanjake

Cavy Slave
mine are 9 weeks old and are a lot smaller these 2. (they are gorgeous though) its so hard because you think you really want to give them a good home, but on the other hand they are going to keep breeding more if they can sell them... if they are dodgy! :(

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
Several things not to like about the add.

-Storefront style pricing ($.99?)
-Tagged the add to come up in searches for gift ideas (guinea pigs and pets in general are a horrible idea for a gift)
-Advertising other guinea pig supplies available for sale whether you want the pigs or not
-Obviously lying about the age of the pigs (If those pigs are 7 weeks old then I'm 18. Tip - I'm 40.)

It's clear that the poster cares nothing for the type of home the pigs are going to and that the pigs are being treated as inventory, not a beloved pet being re-homed.

Couldn't be more clear to me that this is some kind of breeder or pet business.

megakamattsmom

Cavy Slave
Now I have an appt with this owner. She says that she moved in with family and there is no longer room for them. She's lowered the price to 55.00 since I only need the fiddlesticks. BTW, I purchased new cage and supplies.
(broken link removed)

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Now I have an appt with this owner. She says that she moved in with family and there is no longer room for them. She's lowered the price to 55.00 since I only need the fiddlesticks. BTW, I purchased new cage and supplies.
(broken link removed)
How did it work out? Did you get the piggies? I got mine off Craigslist but it was very apparent it wasn't a breeder (well, not intentionally...Amy had a litter of pups because the pig she was bought from a pet store with was missexed; she was the last remaining after dad and babies, as the people just wanted to wash their hands of piggies as pets after that whole experience...came with cage and all supplies since she was the last one standing).

megakamattsmom

Cavy Slave
Wound up not getting these piggies but two others. The sellers niece became allergic. Got two females with hay and pellets. I didn't need the cage as I upgraded to a C&C cage.

megakamattsmom

Cavy Slave
How did it work out? Did you get the piggies? I got mine off Craigslist but it was very apparent it wasn't a breeder (well, not intentionally...Amy had a litter of pups because the pig she was bought from a pet store with was missexed; she was the last remaining after dad and babies, as the people just wanted to wash their hands of piggies as pets after that whole experience...came with cage and all supplies since she was the last one standing).

Will you get a friend for your single one?

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Will you get a friend for your single one?
Got her a friend long ago. Actually Amy was originally adopted as a friend for "Leela" (who has missexed at the humane society, but thankfully we realized it during Amy's quarantine so no more pups for her). We were going to have Leela (renamed Borat) neutered but he had a congenital jaw defect and had to be put to sleep. Our local Petco takes in dumped piggies and someone dropped off a cute little girl, so we adopted her, named her Quinn, and she's been Amy's frenemy for the past three years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.