Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Young couple in Port richey/ brooksville Florida looking to adopt

skater1776

Cavy Slave
Hi im nichole,

i am 18 years of age I am married to micheal G [23] and i am a stay at home wife

i currently have 4 piggies

1 mom
2 un sexed
1 male

i live in a 2 bedroom house with the 2nd bedroom turned into a walk in guniea pig fantasy [lol] which is half for males and half for females.

You may wonder why i say all this. Well i want to adopt piggies, alot, piggies are my children :)

id love to get 2-3 more males

and 3-4 females [ preg or un ]

*-* for owners giving them up but would still like weekly photos and updates please let me know, I want you to be happy with where your piggies are :)

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
Did you know that Crazy Cavies Guinea Pig Rescue is the only 501(c)3 guinea pig only rescue in the state of Florida? That means any money that is donated can be used as a tax deduction and they are held to a higher standard and accountability for all money donated to them.

They are located in Lauderhill, which is right near Fort Lauderdale. If you want to rescue, you can check them out. Plus you can always look at your local shelters.

Welcome to the forum!!

skater1776

Cavy Slave
hey thanks for the welcome

i will make sure to check them out.

there is only one place here to get them and as nice as they people are they rarely have pigs and when they do there not in good condition

lovemyguineas

Cavy Slave
Would love to see pictures of the guineas you already have:D. Welcome to the forum.

skater1776

Cavy Slave
Would love to see pictures of the guineas you already have:D. Welcome to the forum.

thank you :) there are a few picture in my gallery i cant find them all atm but i shall take more pictures today. i also have videos as well [ somewhere]

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Hi and Welcome!

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Craigslist is a good place to check for pigs in need. Southern CA always has pigs being rehomed on CL because kids got a new video game and the pig has become a nuisance during Xbox time.

Are your pigs kept separate at all times, or do the boars and sows directly interact in the pig haven you built?

skater1776

Cavy Slave
the males and females only interact during floor time and if a female is " in heat" she stays away from the males in floor time or i do theirs separate

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
the males and females only interact during floor time and if a female is " in heat" she stays away from the males in floor time or i do theirs separate

This is a bad idea. It only takes a second for a male to impregnate a female. They shouldn't have any contact. It's too risky and it will drive the males crazy.

skater1776

Cavy Slave
This is a bad idea. It only takes a second for a male to impregnate a female. They shouldn't have any contact. It's too risky and it will drive the males crazy.

i want my piggies to all get alone.
i also want more piggies
so far its
1 male
1 female
and the 2 unsexed babies with the female

im honestly not worried that much

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Do you know that this forum is against breeding? Have you looked around the site at the copious amount of reading on why breeding guinea pigs is a horrible, horrible idea, not only for the female but for the amount of strain it causes rescues and shelters?!

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Exactly why I asked this question. Guinea pig mating happens too quickly to stop it, even if you are right there. It is nothing short of begging for a "mistake" to be having intact boars and sows interact.

Why are you taking the risk? You have multiple pigs of each sex, and you clearly have the ability to separate them. If you are so insistent upon them interacting, it should only be done with grids separating the sexes.

The only reason to risk this is out of ignorance or out of desire to breed your pigs. And, if you have read this far, you can no longer claim ignorance.

Pardon my bluntness.

allmypiggies

Cavy Slave
I agree with ellisa. because putting a male with a female for floor time, and then seperating them could really drive the male crazy.

allmypiggies

Cavy Slave
and it is also WAYY risky.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
The real problem here is the potential indescriminate breeding of animals, especially when one is apparently willing to adopt. Not that the boy pigs will be suffering from coitus interruptis.

skater1776

Cavy Slave
Do you know that this forum is against breeding? Have you looked around the site at the copious amount of reading on why breeding guinea pigs is a horrible, horrible idea, not only for the female but for the amount of strain it causes rescues and shelters?!

so its wrong for me to want towant my female to have babies? even if its one birth?
ive read what can happen when my female breeds

as for the strain on rescues and shelters, i dont plan on getting rid of a pig i have or will have, these are my children.

skater1776

Cavy Slave
The real problem here is the potential indescriminate breeding of animals, especially when one is apparently willing to adopt. Not that the boy pigs will be suffering from coitus interruptis.

I want one "litter" of my long hair male and my short hair female.. i really see nothing wrong with that

ellisa

Cavy Slave
so its wrong for me to want towant my female to have babies? even if its one birth?
ive read what can happen when my female breeds

as for the strain on rescues and shelters, i dont plan on getting rid of a pig i have or will have, these are my children.

That may be true that you won't give up the babies, but you could be rescuing a guinea pig from a shelter instead of breeding your female. Hence, it causes strain on shelters because other pets cannot be rescued due to lack of space. So, yes, IMO it is bad that you want your female to have babies. You are playing with fire and it's your pets that are going to get burned.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Read this link: https://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html

1 in 5 guinea pig pregnancies end up with the sow passing away during or after birth.

There are countless health complications that are associated with pregnant pigs.

There are thousands of homeless guinea pigs that you could adopt and provide a home to, instead of going out of your way to produce more guinea pigs and put a strain on one of your sows, along with risking her life.

Is it worth is?

I love my pigs, so the answer is no. I also love pigs in general, and have a comprehensive understanding of the dire overbreeding situation in the United States, and would never perpetuate that vile issue.

skater1776

Cavy Slave
That may be true that you won't give up the babies, but you could be rescuing a guinea pig from a shelter instead of breeding your female. Hence, it causes strain on shelters because other pets cannot be rescued due to lack of space. So, yes, IMO it is bad that you want your female to have babies. You are playing with fire and it's your pets that are going to get burned.

in your opinion

but there is 1 place that sells guineas around me and they rarely have them its not common here, only Rats cause of snake breeders.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.