Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Where to Order? Hay recommendations please

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
So, I've been purchasing my hay from a local pet store, but since we have quadrupled our herd numbers I really need to look into a better system for hay and pellets.

What are your recommendations? I looked on Amazon but would really like to hear suggestions on what kind and cuts people prefer.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I use KMS Hayloft pellets -- I think the pigs would attack me if I tried anything else.

I've gotten my last several boxes of hay from Small Pet Select, and it's been excellent. There's usually a code you can use to get "free" shipping, or a dollar amount off on your order. I use second cut timothy.

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
I use KMS bluegrass hay. I have an allergy to Timothy hay.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I use KMS, though lately I've heard good things about small pet select and when I run out I'm considering trying out some of their hay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Small Pet Select is my brand of choice. My pigs LOVE their hay. They even stop eating their veggies when I also put fresh hay in the cage at the same time. They play in it, sleep in it, poop and I'm sure pee in it too. I get 2nd cut Timothy Hay and I know they would kill me if I changed. They love their pellets from KMS. I will be starting them shortly on the pellets I also got from SPS because we are almost done with KMS pellets. I did open the bag of SPS and gave them some one day and they devoured them. I recently ordered a 60lb box of 2nd cut Timothy from SPS, placed the order at 3:45pm and at 4:10pm the same day, I received an email that my order had shipped. Received it 2 days later. Talk about customer service!!!!

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
Thank you all so much for your replies! I think I am going to try out SPS next month.
@koalamissy how many pigs do you have and how long does the 60lb box last?

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
[QUOTE
@koalamissy how many pigs do you have and how long does the 60lb box last?[/QUOTE]

I only have 2 girls. This is the first time I've ordered the 60lb box. I only got my piggies 3 months ago. First I ordered a 10lb box from KMS, then wanted to try SPS, so I ordered the 20lb box. I was more than half way through the box and had some extra money and since the hay will last for a while, I decided to order the 60lb box so I'll have plenty of hay to last me quite some time. I have two jobs, my part-time job is at Walmart and starting the day after Christmas, they cut our hours drastically, so at least I know that my babies will have plenty of good hay to last till my hours come back to normal. I'm going to track when I start the box to see how long it lasts these two. Sorry I couldn't help more.

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
Thanks @koalamissy that does help because I had no idea the hay would last that long. I have 8 girls now and with just 6 last month we went through *I think* 15lbs of hay. So I may try the 60lb box (after the first month to make sure they like it).

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
I'm probably very wasteful though when it comes to the hay. Every time I walk by the cage, which is often, I give them a handful and in the mornings, I give them a couple of big handfuls since I'm out all day. I guess I freak myself out knowing how important it is for them to eat all day. I leave it on the floor of the cage because they were sticking their heads inside the holes in their hay bag and I was afraid they would poke their eyes out. Now they bury themselves in it, but the hay has more room to move around with their body movement. Call me paranoid!!! When I do give them the hay, they now expect me to dig out the seed heads and give them a treat. Silly piggies. I just have to say this - last night I couldn't stop laughing watching them play tag!!! I'm pretty sure one of them (or both) were in heat. One would sneak up behind the other and give a slight nudge in their bum and they would take off chasing each other around their hiddies and in and out through their tunnel and back again. Talk about entertainment for me, it was hysterical!!! A great way to get ready for bed!!!!

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
Sounds like your girls are a lot of fun!! Our hay setup sounds similar.

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
I ended up ordering from small pet select. I ordered a 20 lb box if 2nd cut timothy hay. It got here in less than 48 hours and it's excellent!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.