Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Is fleece too hot?

Sakano

Cavy Slave
I'm making the switch to fleece soon, I already have the fleece bedding ready, but I'm waiting to use up the paper bedding I have for them before I switch. But now I'm thinking the timing is bad, they seem to be getting hot even with the paper bedding, Spice keeps digging through it to get to the canvas underneath to sit on it. Do they overheat with fleece?

Nadiv

Cavy Slave
I don't think so. But anything is possible, dogs can get overheated if they wear jackets even in the winter, so maybe guinea pigs can get over heated on fleece. Maybe you should only have section of fleece, you know like one side of the cage is fleece and the other side is just regular bedding so if your guinea pigs get too hot they can just move to the other side. However my guinea pig Dillon has a shirt of mine that he stole while I wasn't looking, he sleeps on it every night and doesn't seem to get overheated. So it will probably be okay for your pigs to have fleece. Oh, do you have an AC? That will keep them cool with or without the fleece.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I used to use the Carefresh bedding, and both Pooper and Sly used to go in the pigloos and dig down to the coroplast and lie on it. Almost like using the Carefresh as a pillow. Now I use only fleece and both Sly and Punkin will dig up corners occasionally, but I think it's just because they like to dig stuff up.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
They can get very hot from the fleece if you are not careful with keeping the ac on. You can buy marble tiles or bricks to place in the for them to lay on. I put in bent grid tunnels and put frozen water bottles or ice packs on top and the cool air from them drops down. This is the time to watch for heat stroke and it's a good idea to keep some frozen water bottles in the freezer for them. 100_0715.jpg100_0678.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fleece won't make them any hotter than any other bedding unless they're burrowing under it.

Sakano

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the responses!

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
ok, now I'm a bit confused. Our home is air conditioned and we keep it set to cool to 75 in the summers in the house (it gets no hotter than 75 degrees F).

I see people use those little burrow bag things and the fleece cavy igloos and such, I am actually 2/3 of the way finished sewing one as we speak. Is there a risk of heat stroke inside our house if the GP uses a fleece bed like a burrow sack or a fleece igloo if our home never gets warmer than 75 degrees?

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
thank you so much for clarifying @spy9doc !

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
The piggy room (actually my home office) has no a/c in that room and it's West facing. There is a/c in the rest of the house so they/we often need a fan in our room to circulate air. Both the boys and I manage to stay comfortable.

Spy9doc - this is like the set-up we have because the only room we can close the piggies safely in is the west facing room which doesn't experience "ambient" a/c (i.e. the rest of our house never gets above 70ish just because.) It doesn't usually get too hot in there, if it does, I add frozen water bottles and a fan bouncing off the wall. I was feeling really bad that it is SW facing and definitely the warmest room in the house, but if your office set-up works like that, piggies should be fine?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
If you live in New England then you know that for the most part we have had a pretty mild summer. My boys still sleep in the cozy for short periods of time, but if they are a bit warm, they sleep on top of it.

Sparky's favorite napping spot is in the litter box.:rolleyes: The litter box is large enough so he can stretch out. I have SoPhresh litter covered with a layer of hay and I think he likes being able to do two things at once. We do have a problem with keeping his white underbelly clean, and have to give him a belly bath fairly often and of course change the hay and littler frequently. But, he is such a happy boy that I'm inclined not to change too much in his life.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
True, and this year has been a wildly shifting summer with many cool days. It was just funny (odd) that right when we got them, it got hot again so the room temp made me worry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.