Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Leaping Piggies

piglover94

Cavy Slave
So every time I pick up my piggies they try to leap/jump out of my arms back into their cage. Is this normal? I'm afraid to go anywhere away from the cage because I don't want them to get lost/escape. Any tips/thoughts? Thanks! :)

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It's because they don't trust you yet. You'll just have to pick them up every day and sit on your bed with them. Give them their favorite veggies while you're holding them, the way to a pig's heart is through their stomach. Soon enough they'll realize that you aren't taking them away forever!

piglover94

Cavy Slave
Ok thank you, but one thing the pig cage isn't in my room it is downstairs how do I get them there with out them jumping out of my arms?

Aleks

Cavy Slave
George would do that when I first got him, sometimes when i'm putting him back in his cage he still tries to do it (very rarely now though). It might just be because they're not used to you yet or they're scared. My advice would be to just make sure you're holding them firmly (but gently) so they can't leap out of your arms. As for them getting lost, I would recommend doing lap time; you'll get to cuddle the little cuties and they'll be on your lap the whole time so they won't get lost! When you do floor time you could create a barrier around the room and make sure it doesn't have any holes in it where they could slip through so they'll be in a safe area where they won't get lost (or have a chance to chew any cords or anything that you might have around the room). :)

Quinten29

Cavy Slave
Don't worry too much about it, as has been said the piggies can, will, do tend to jump back scramble over anything to get to their cage (or safe place) with a lot of love care and attention you'll do fine.

at least you don't have my problems, one of my 7 piggies has decided he's houdini, have found him running around the floor to the cage room despite the fact that he has to climb 12" of fence to get over it, and scramble down 2m of fence to get to the floor, have had to put him in a temp floor lvl closed up cage till i work out what to do with him.

piglover94

Cavy Slave
Don't worry too much about it, as has been said the piggies can, will, do tend to jump back scramble over anything to get to their cage (or safe place) with a lot of love care and attention you'll do fine.

at least you don't have my problems, one of my 7 piggies has decided he's houdini, have found him running around the floor to the cage room despite the fact that he has to climb 12" of fence to get over it, and scramble down 2m of fence to get to the floor, have had to put him in a temp floor lvl closed up cage till i work out what to do with him.

Haha well I hope you figure it out I know i'd be stumped and thank you both for the advice! I love that there are so many others that love piggies as much as I do and that there is a forum where you can ask any questions you have and get responses and in a nice timely fashion its great! I also love seeing all the pictures of everyone's piggies and cages and whatnot its awesome!

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Try putting him in backwards, with his face towards you. Make sure to have a firm hold on his lower body. Helps with my mister Numa!

piglover94

Cavy Slave
Oh one more question should I do laptime with them one at a time? or take both out (seems harder but just checking maybe they feel more comfortable that way *shrugs*)?

piglover94

Cavy Slave
Try putting him in backwards, with his face towards you. Make sure to have a firm hold on his lower body. Helps with my mister Numa!

Alright thanks I will try that :)

LitaRutherford

Cavy Slave
My Bear loves to try and do flying leaps to get back to the cage. He always settles down once I sit but man if he sees that cage he'll take off for it. He's a silly pig.

I'd just do one at a time, I've tried doing lap time with multiple but it is hard to handle more then one at a time unless you have someone helping. Especially if one tries to bolt while your holding them. I always just think of it as Lap time is bonding time for piggy and people, and then floor time is bonding time for piggies with piggies. Some people can do the two or three piggies at a time but if yours are of the wiggly variety, like mine, its just easier to do one.

piglover94

Cavy Slave
Should I pick them up even if they are in there hidey hole? Some say you shouldn't put your hand in there but some say it's ok, :/

piglover94

Cavy Slave
@LitaRutherford thanks for the advice, I think I can only do one at a time.

My husband keeps telling me it's a bad idea to take them out if they are so scared and if they are hiding in there igloo so he is making me nervous and unsure. :/

LitaRutherford

Cavy Slave
They will almost always run and hide from you when you try to pick them up. One of my wheeks like a car alarm sometimes. Made me think he was hurt at first but he checked out ok. The best thing to do is do be calm, quick, and gentle. I usually try to get mine into a corner so its easier to scoop them up. I wouldn't reach into a hidey to grab them because some will kick or nip you if they are scared, but you can always pick up the hidey to get them. All three of mine act like I'm going to eat them but the minute they hit my lap the almost always settle down and fall asleep. Either that or they decide they want to go exploring and try to jump out of my lap and run around on my bed.

If your nervous or having a super hard time getting them out some people do piggy elevators by nudging or luring them into a box and lifting them out that way. That also helps if you have an overly skiddish or traumatized piggy.

piglover94

Cavy Slave
They will almost always run and hide from you when you try to pick them up. One of my wheeks like a car alarm sometimes. Made me think he was hurt at first but he checked out ok. The best thing to do is do be calm, quick, and gentle. I usually try to get mine into a corner so its easier to scoop them up. I wouldn't reach into a hidey to grab them because some will kick or nip you if they are scared, but you can always pick up the hidey to get them. All three of mine act like I'm going to eat them but the minute they hit my lap the almost always settle down and fall asleep. Either that or they decide they want to go exploring and try to jump out of my lap and run around on my bed.

If your nervous or having a super hard time getting them out some people do piggy elevators by nudging or luring them into a box and lifting them out that way. That also helps if you have an overly skiddish or traumatized piggy.

Ok thanks so much, I get quite nervouse and my husband thinks its really bad for them and will scare them more so it makes me more nervous. I just want to do it right and make them feel safer not more scared

LitaRutherford

Cavy Slave
Yeah, its a little scary at first because they look so scared. But if there is one thing i have learned from on here and in person its that piggies will almost always look scared when you try to touch them/pick them up/move past their cage. My boys are in my room near my bed and if I get up to go get something and they are eating or drinking they will almost always scatter unless I am very slow. Which makes taking cute candid pictures reallllly hard. XD

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Just make sure to give them yummy food when they're out on your lap and such. They'll begin to associate you as The Bringer of Food instead of Giant Scary Thing. I've had my first pair for over a year and they still run just before I pick them up.

piglover94

Cavy Slave
Haha I bet, I have tried to take a few but they always scatter so it's hard and then I end up giving up for a little while :p . I think I will try the box method because i'm upstairs and they are downstairs. They aren't going to try and runaway when in my lap will they? I wouldn't want them to bolt and go off the bed I would feel absolutely horrible! I'm afraid of the worst :/

LitaRutherford

Cavy Slave
They might bolt, just keep a close eye on them until you get a feel for them and they get a feel for you. My Porcupine will, and has, bolted for it, while Bear and Odair will try to walk off but generally just sleep. So I know when I hold Porcupine I have to keep a close eye on him or else have a hand on him at all times. While the other two I can generally leave be without to much worry.

piglover94

Cavy Slave
Ok and really cute names by the way :) . I have a question a little off topic but Amber is sneezing a little and and kind of sniffley I am going to call the vet tomorrow and make an appointment I think she may have an upper respiratory problem if that's the case do you have any idea of a price range of how much the antibiotics will cost? and how you give them the antibiotics?

LitaRutherford

Cavy Slave
Thanks. ^^

Price ranges really depend on your vet. The antibiotics were not that expensive, if I remember correctly, but the vet visit itself is usually the expensive part. I think when I had Porcupine treated it was like 10$ or something like that for the meds themselves. I'd take both your piggies with you and have them both looked at since if she is sick then her cage mate could be sick as well. As for giving them the meds the vet should show you. If she needs any it will likely be a liquid, and you'll be given some syringes to use to feed her the meds. Porcupine loved the antibiotics because the one he was given was fruit flavored. XD In fact he usually tried to eat the syringe as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.