Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Daisy's under-the-skin lump thread.

• Thread starter Princess_Piggie
  • Start date

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, this is another medical thread, but for my other girl Daisy.
While checking her over for issues (those of you who don't know, my other girl had a fungus question mark hanging over her, so I was checking Daisy for signs), I came across a very small, soft, moveable lump, adjacent to the base of her spine under her skin. No visible signs on top of the skin, and a picture would be pointless because it doesn't protrude much at all. I actually mistook it for her spine until I realised it was soft and moved (i.e could be pressed in).

Daisy's not a struggler or verbaliser so I wasn't surprised that she made no fuss over me touching it, if it distressed her I wasn't made aware.

I've read GuineaLynx's section on lump's and the only applicable lump seems to be a Lipoma but I'd like some second opinions, and advice on whether or not she needs a vet check or just monitoring.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Lipomas are squishy -- they filled with fat. If it's not squishy, chances are it isn't a lipoma.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, this is another medical thread, but for my other girl Daisy.
While checking her over for issues (those of you who don't know, my other girl had a fungus question mark hanging over her, so I was checking Daisy for signs), I came across a very small, soft, moveable lump, adjacent to the base of her spine under her skin. No visible signs on top of the skin, and a picture would be pointless because it doesn't protrude much at all. I actually mistook it for her spine until I realised it was soft and moved (i.e could be pressed in).

Daisy's not a struggler or verbaliser so I wasn't surprised that she made no fuss over me touching it, if it distressed her I wasn't made aware.

I've read GuineaLynx's section on lump's and the only applicable lump seems to be a Lipoma but I'd like some second opinions, and advice on whether or not she needs a vet check or just monitoring.
Hi, @Princess_Piggie and Happy New Year. How have you been doing?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
@bpatters, it does seem to squish in. What would you recommend?

Hi @pinky! Happy New Year to you too! I've been doing fairly well, how've you been doing?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd measure the size, and watch it very carefully for a while. If you notice it getting larger/pus-filled/redder/harder/painful/whatever, or if it seems to be affecting her ability to move, then see a vet. If it stays the same, then mention it to the vet the next time you take her in.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
If it were to be pus filled, how would you notice that with it being under the skin, just so I know what to look for?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Often, something with pus in it will come to a head, sort of like a bad pimple. That's not true 100% of the time, but it is often enough that you can use it as a clue.

pinky

Cavy Slave
@bpatters, it does seem to squish in. What would you recommend?

Hi @pinky! Happy New Year to you too! I've been doing fairly well, how've you been doing?

I've been doing good. My two seniors (Wishbone and Rigatoni) passed this Fall so I have some youngsters here. I'd love to hear an update on how things are going with you.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Well my girls are still doing good, albeit seemingly more accident prone of late. I'll inbox you a more personal update :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.