Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Sneezing Piggie?

• Thread starter ILovePiggies456
  • Start date

ILovePiggies456

Cavy Slave
Hi,

My guinea pig Rose has started to occasionally sneeze. I have already checked the Guinea Lynx website for symptoms of URI's, but My piggie has nothing listed there wrong with her. Also, she seems to only sneeze when she is in her cage. Does this mean I need to clean the cage (wash the fleece) more often? I vacuum the cage often, and my two girls are on fleece. I only just started using fleece about a week ago and will be washing it tomorrow. I've read in other posts that people clean their cages when they start to smell.. but I'm not sure what smell I'm supposed to be looking for.. what does a dirty cage that needs cleaning smell like? Does a normal, clean cage have a smell? I'm worried about Rose, and I'm not 100% sure, but I thought I just heard my other guinea pig, Mocha, just sneeze. Could it be from their "litter" box under their hay rack? They sometimes pee in it (more often than not)..

Thanks!

juliannimal

Cavy Slave
Some hays can cause pigs to sneeze. I've heard the better quality hay you use the less sneezing is likely to happen.
I also use fleece and you can definitely tell when it starts to smell. I notice it not on my fleece but in the kitchen that we use bedding in. I've never had any smell issues with the fleece but still wash it once a week.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I wash my fleece once a week. When I first started I washed it more often. I doubt, though, that its the fleece that makes her sneeze, unless its your detergent.

Do you weigh her? Has she lost any weight? I would maybe weigh her daily for a week or so, and monitor her closely.

ILovePiggies456

Cavy Slave
I wash my fleece once a week. When I first started I washed it more often. I doubt, though, that its the fleece that makes her sneeze, unless its your detergent.

Do you weigh her? Has she lost any weight? I would maybe weigh her daily for a week or so, and monitor her closely.

Yes, I weigh all my pets weekly. Since both my girls are still 2 months old, they are gaining weight every week.

Last edited:

ILovePiggies456

Cavy Slave
Some hays can cause pigs to sneeze. I've heard the better quality hay you use the less sneezing is likely to happen.
I also use fleece and you can definitely tell when it starts to smell. I notice it not on my fleece but in the kitchen that we use bedding in. I've never had any smell issues with the fleece but still wash it once a week.

I use KAYTEE Natural Timothy Hay. It smells really sweet and looks fresh so I believe it is good quality.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
I agree it could be the hay if all seems well eating and weight wise. I used to buy hay from Wal Mart and it was always dusty and not fresh and they would occasionally sneeze which would freak me out and make me paranoid! Since I have switched hay everyone is happy!

juliannimal

Cavy Slave
Are the pieces nice and long? I feel like with the Kaytee the hay is small and kind of dusty. I used that for a while and switched to Oxbow and the quality seems a lot better.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
Use half as much laundry detergent you were using to wash the fleece and replace with vinegar.
If they're still sneezing, switch your laundry detergent, still use the vinegar.

ILovePiggies456

Cavy Slave
Are the pieces nice and long? I feel like with the Kaytee the hay is small and kind of dusty. I used that for a while and switched to Oxbow and the quality seems a lot better.

You're right.. They are short.. I'll switch to Oxbow (as soon as their LARGE bag of hay is done). Hopefully they'll stop sneezing.

ILovePiggies456

Cavy Slave
Use half as much laundry detergent you were using to wash the fleece and replace with vinegar.
If they're still sneezing, switch your laundry detergent, still use the vinegar.

I'll try that. Thanks!

juliannimal

Cavy Slave
You're right.. They are short.. I'll switch to Oxbow (as soon as their LARGE bag of hay is done). Hopefully they'll stop sneezing.

You could buy some Oxbow and mix it with the Kaytee until the Kaytee is gone and then just use Oxbow. That's what I did because I don't like to switch any foods with my pets if they are used to something else. I've found they reject the new foods less that way :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.