Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Is hopping normal? (Not popcorning)

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My daughter had a very young girl that has arthritis, we were told it is genetic. As is the cataracts the other one got at under a year. She also has one that has a tongue deformity and started hopping because she couldn't eat well and wasn't getting enough nutrients. So I would start with extra green pepper, vit c drops and see if she improves. When student aid comes and she is not better, I would take her in and see if it is arthritis.
Good luck, PM me and let me know how she is doing.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Is your piggy a Satin? Statins are prone to osteodystrophy. Some will hop instead of walk when they have osteodystrophy. X-rays will reveal this and Metacam can help if they have it. With a previous back injury, I'd wonder about arthritis too.

oops. I just saw the photo of your piggy. Doesn't appear to be a Satin.

I had a teddy that had osteodystrophy so it's not just satins.

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
Pinky - that's good to know. I was wondering if it had been seen in non-Satins. Sorry that your piggy had it.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Pinky - that's good to know. I was wondering if it had been seen in non-Satins. Sorry that your piggy had it.

It was heartbreaking. The vet thought it was scurvy at first but xrays confirmed it. It was progressive and we finally had to euthanize her because she was suffering, even though she was on pain meds.

Heather_GP

Cavy Slave
Franks going to the vet today! He's had his vitamin C and probiotic in his water now as I'm having a complete check over of him. Hopefully find out of he's neutered too! Also getting insurance!

Someone confirmed to me however that the hop is the guinea pigs fastest run hence why I said when he wanted something he was straight there !!

Heather_GP

Cavy Slave
It's not the vets I wanted to see, but in all fairness she diagnosed him and got him better last time - well that's if I see her :/ I hope!!

stray hares

Cavy Slave
I wonder if your piggy was a satin carrier [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION]? It is possible in non-satins, but I have heard it is more common obviously in satin piggies, but also piggies heterozygous for the satin allele, or satin carriers.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I wonder if your piggy was a satin carrier [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION]? It is possible in non-satins, but I have heard it is more common obviously in satin piggies, but also piggies heterozygous for the satin allele, or satin carriers.

I got her from a rescue so we knew nothing about where she came from.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
A couple of years back I rescued a neglected pig from a preschool. He turned out to have scurvy because they had not been providing any vitamin c (or cage cleaning, fresh water or hay for that matter).

Scurvy presents itself as uncoordinated movement, lack of muscle tone/control. He would trip trying to get out of his bed. He wouldn't be able to lift his head up to drink from the water bottle, his gait would be unsteady and he would stagger around. It looked like how a person would move after spinning in a circle for a minute then trying to walk in a straight line.

So if he is hopping, it's not likely scurvy.

Heather_GP

Cavy Slave
I think it's the mites, they've irritated his legs something chronic. But he does hop as if he's running and can walk. Vet in 2 hours!!

Heather_GP

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: Frank's being treated for mites and he's had a full check up and is fine bar that, has to go back in two weeks for possibly more treatment! && he even had a nice little walk around the table :)

Thank you everyone, I will also keep up with the vitamin C twice daily + his vegetables to keep him boosted [MENTION=28396]daisy1cow[/MENTION]

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
Im glad to hear it wasn't something really serious!!! GO FRANK!!!
Once a day vit c will be good.

HAPPY DANCE FOR FRANK :)

Heather_GP

Cavy Slave
Once a day? OKAY :)
I know I was so relieved and I was going nuts, like check his breathing, check his ears, etc. Haha.

LOVE MY BOY!!

Oh, he's not neutered though :( So getting him a friend is harder now, poop :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.