Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Abscess another pig with an abscess, i could just cry

GreyWish

Cavy Champion
Cavy Gazer
So i found a lump on peanut and im going to guess its an abscess because when ever any of my pigs get an abscess im unlucky enough for it to show up under their chins -_-
i just had a big money issue happen, i wont go into details but i cant afford to the vet. im paying for one pig right now who has an abscess under his eye and hes going to have to have surgery soon so i cant pay for other vet bills right now :'(
is there any way i can drain it at home? or just wait for it to pop.....

lissie

Cavy Slave
I thought you said your mom will help pay for vet bills. That's why you taken in so many pigs.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
What's causing them?

GreyWish

Cavy Champion
Cavy Gazer
i have no idea whats causing them, its spaced out they dont get them left and right....the last one was on alexandria in september
and my mom is broke right now she just bought a car and all the money is gone out of my account and i have no idea what happened
i have a hospital cage, its just a really clean cage ready for a sick pig if i need it i was thinking i should put her in there

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
See if you can find a rescue that will take the pig and get it some vet care. It's not fair to your pigs for you not to provide medical care for them.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs get dulaps like rabbits, are you sure its not a dulap?

GreyWish

Cavy Champion
Cavy Gazer
im saving my vet money for more important things, like Rusty needs surgery for his abscess under his eye
None of my pigs have any problems besides Rusty and now peanut. Rusty was sick when i got him
When alexandria had her abscess i told the vet and he said she doesnt need to come in, after it popped he asked me to bring her in and she was fine
if i call the vet im hes not going to tell me to bring her in
I wanted to know if i should pop it myself or put her in the hospital cage and let it pop on its on

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
See if you can find a rescue that will take the pig and get it some vet care. It's not fair to your pigs for you not to provide medical care for them.

I may be misunderstanding... You want her to give up her pig?

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
GreyWish, I'm sorry this is happening and I wish I could help but honestly I'm a total noob and even through my pre pig research I've never heard of this problem.

I wish you and your piggies good health in the future though!

GreyWish

Cavy Champion
Cavy Gazer
you have never heard of an abscess?.... and im a he not a she
and no its not a dulap...
i will give up a pig when it is better for them. Peanut is fine and all of my other pigs are, im considering giving rusty to the rescue because he is sick and hes costing me a lot of money, i love him to bits but he will have a better life if he gets adopted when hes well
My pigs are fine and im not turning any of them over

madrae

Cavy Slave
@Zombie Queen: Yes, if a pig (or any pet) needs vet care and the owner cannot provide it, it is the most humane and loving thing to give the pet to someone who can see to it's needs. Everybody hits hard times and no one can be expected be 100% prepared 100% of the time. You always need a back up plan! Savings, odd jobs, someone who can loan some money, a payment plan with vet, etc. A responsible pet owner considers vet bills when acquiring a pet. And one must consider MANY vet bills when acquiring MANY pets.

@GreyWish: "Wait for it to pop"? Do you know are we talking a sebaceous cyst? Or a dental issue? I've had some wicked dental problems and the pain was worse than any surgery or childbirth I ever experienced. Your vet is guessing what this is? Does not even offer pain meds? No antibiotics? When it pops, what is to keep infection out of bone or bloodstream?

GreyWish

Cavy Champion
Cavy Gazer
he gives them baytril after it pops
1 i discover the lump, call the vet
2 vet says wait for about a week and if it doesnt pop come in
3 it pops i bring the pig in
4 vet makes sure its drained
5 give me baytril for the pig

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Originally Posted by bpatters https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?p=826196#post826196

I may be misunderstanding... You want her to give up her pig?

It's he, not she. And if you want to read back over all his posts you'll see how many pigs he has accumulated in the past few months with no way to take care of them. Coming on this forum when they're sick does not substitute for veterinary care. If he can't afford to take care of the pigs, then he needs to reduce the number of pigs that he has until they're at a manageable level.

GreyWish

Cavy Champion
Cavy Gazer
i can afford the pigs all my money just disapeared out of my account and its being worked on by paypal...when i have all my money back i can pay for the vet but something happened and i have no idea how it happened, i can afford more than the pigs need but i logged into my account to have some put on my card to go get gpig food and my account said 0 when it should be be a few thousand -_- paypal said nothing was bought it just is gone...they are trying to fix it
i can afford my guinea pigs
but whoever did this to my account clearly didnt know that they just screwed all my guinea pigs -_-
i have enough food an hay to last for about a month but i still have enough cash to buy things they need

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
he gives them baytril after it pops
3 it pops i bring the pig in
4 vet makes sure its drained
5 give me baytril for the pig

But without a vet to check to see what exactly the lump is, you can't know how much care is needed. You don't know that it's an abscess. You don't know there's no infection there. And how did you intend to pay for the meds and for the office visit? You said you were saving your money for the surgery on your other pig's abscess. Surgery can run a couple of hundred dollars. One of my pigs had a tumor removed and it was $800 plus meds. So, if all it takes for an abscess are the steps you laid out above, why is one pig getting surgery while the other is receiving no medical attention?

@bpatters is correct and we've discussed this before. If you have pets, it is your responsibility to provide medical care. If you cannot, it's on you to rehome to someone who can and who is willing to provide medical care. This is not about you - it is about doing what is best for your pigs.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave

Remind me how many you have acquired again?

i just had a big money issue happen, i wont go into details but i cant afford to the vet.

It's okay to admit you are in over your head. It happens, but it's important to remember that your guinea pigs should not go without what they need, that includes medical care. Coming here and asking about home remedies does not substitute for real veterinary care.

GreyWish

Cavy Champion
Cavy Gazer
i can't afford them right now because of all my money being taken out of my account
if i had the money i could take her to the vet
i wanted to know if there was something i could do now not in a few weeks when paypal gets this fixed, im working but all my money gets set to my paypal account so i have to be able to take it out from paypal and paypal has shut the account down while they are working on it
i have about 100 cash to buy anything they happen to need from a store
my mom just bought a new car so she doesnt have very much to help me when shes trying to pay for the family
and i said i can afford my guinea pigs and i cant go to the vet right now 2 different things because just going to the vet is 70 dollars
when i get all my money back everything will be fine and i can take them to the vet but i dont know how soon that will be so i wanted to know if there was something to be done at home

Last edited by a moderator:

Rayen

Cavy Slave

I'm not saying this to exacerbate the issue or anything, but are there any other vets in your area you can call? That seems like terrible advice. I've never had a vet tell me to just wait for an abscess to pop without actually seeing the animal before. They've always stressed examining the lump and then proceeded with my options on dealing with it. That's not even just guinea pigs which have problematic abscesses, but when I've brought cats or dogs or even my rats in.

I'd be incredibly leery of any vet that wasn't worried about the appearance of a lump.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Can you ask your vet to work out a payment plan while you're waiting for things to resolve with Paypal?

Also look into Care Credit.
https://www.carecredit.com/

pinky

Cavy Slave
i can afford the pigs all my money just disapeared out of my account and its being worked on by paypal...when i have all my money back i can pay for the vet but something happened and i have no idea how it happened, i can afford more than the pigs need but i logged into my account to have some put on my card to go get gpig food and my account said 0 when it should be be a few thousand -_- paypal said nothing was bought it just is gone...they are trying to fix it
but whoever did this to my account clearly didnt know that they just screwed all my guinea pigs -_-
i have enough food an hay to last for about a month but i still have enough cash to buy things they need

Paypal is really safe but you have to be careful of pfishing schemes that will try and defraud you of money. I know someone who lost a lot of money when they replied to a message they thought was paypal. The scammer got access to their password and charged up a lot on their account. The only way to safely use paypal is to sign into the official site and never respond to messages from them. I hope you didn't get scammed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.