Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay I always thought my hay was good....

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Don't forget that KMS doesn't include the shipping in the price. You will have to see how much the whole order costs.

SPS products includes shipping price in the product price.

A good point. However, 10 pounds for 28 dollars comes out to $2.80 per pound. Oxbow in store here is just over $3 a pound. I bought 50 lbs of KMS for $65 (this was shipping and everything) and that comes out to $1.30 per pound. You have to think of it this way to really see what you're getting for the price. Sure, KMS seems expensive when you see the cost of shipping, but once you break it down you see it isn't.

GreyWish

Cavy Champion
Cavy Gazer
my pigs dont potty in their food since i litter trained them, they go in their boxes
ive seen poop in the dish before but its not to often
and i have never bought pellets from oxbow just last night is the first time ive ever bought anything from oxbow
i think kms's prices are fair but why is shipping hay so expensive when its not very heavy....i dont think its heavy .-. it could be maybe im just as weird as i think i am
i thought SPS was expensive not KMS

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Another thought for hay is Tractor Supply. 45 lbs of Timothy for 15 dollars.

GreyWish

Cavy Champion
Cavy Gazer
is tractor supplys hay good and green? every time i go its that dried out yellow horse stuff ive never seen green hay there

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
is tractor supplys hay good and green? every time i go its that dried out yellow horse stuff ive never seen green hay there

I just bought this hay today. I saw it while I was picking up some pine pellets. I thought the GPs would enjoy a change or mix of their coastal hay. It smells good and looks green but I have not opened the bag yet.

[MENTION=29293]TwoMissPiggies[/MENTION] - this 45# bale was small enough to fit in the front seat of my VW beetle. Might work if you don't have much space.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383940142.126741.jpg

lissie

Cavy Slave
A good point. However, 10 pounds for 28 dollars comes out to $2.80 per pound. Oxbow in store here is just over $3 a pound. I bought 50 lbs of KMS for $65 (this was shipping and everything) and that comes out to $1.30 per pound. You have to think of it this way to really see what you're getting for the price. Sure, KMS seems expensive when you see the cost of shipping, but once you break it down you see it isn't.

Yes, that's what I meant. The OP has to calculate the final price per pound for both products. I find KMS much cheaper than SPS.

i think kms's prices are fair but why is shipping hay so expensive when its not very heavy....i dont think its heavy .-. it could be maybe im just as weird as i think i am

Depends on how much hay you buy. The normal Kaytee bag you buy is only 3 lbs. (48 oz)
I usually buy 90 lbs of hay from KMS. That's 30 times heavier than the size of the bag you buy from the store.

Sometimes I buy local hay, 100 lbs for $20.

Last edited:

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I have room in my car or hubby's truck, but no storage room in my house :(

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
I had my local high end pet supply guy order me the 50 pounds of orchard grass is came to about $90 with tax and it is beautiful. I was getting hay at a feed store but the quality was nothing like this. Great hay and got to support a local pet store that does not sell animals so win for my pigs and a win for Ted my pet supply guy.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
my pigs dont potty in their food since i litter trained them, they go in their boxes
ive seen poop in the dish before but its not to often
and i have never bought pellets from oxbow just last night is the first time ive ever bought anything from oxbow

Your pigs ARE NOT litter trained. I'm not trying to be mean, but I've seen your carpet. Just because you are not seeing it, doesn't mean they aren't. Hay is heavy. You're buying 50 lbs of hay, which is heavier than my child.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
DSC00965.jpg It is greener in person. I bought all of this for $30.

GreyWish

Cavy Champion
Cavy Gazer
i threw out my litter boxes when everyone got fleas cause i gave them back and they got fleas again , right now they do not have litter boxes
but they ARE litter trained
you dont live here so please dont start this -_-

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
i think kms's prices are fair but why is shipping hay so expensive when its not very heavy....i dont think its heavy

Hay by itself isn't heavy but when you buy multiple pounds of it and put it into a box, it can become pretty heavy. I have two pigs so I order 9 lbs of 3rd cut timothy hay and although 9 lbs isn't heavy, it can be when all in one box. Yes KMs shipping is nearly as much as the order itself but the hay is so nice and high quality. It's worth the shipping cost.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
i threw out my litter boxes when everyone got fleas cause i gave them back and they got fleas again , right now they do not have litter boxes
but they ARE litter trained
you dont live here so please dont start this -_-

You might be mistaking "litter trained" with going in one area. Guinea pigs will do this naturally. They pick a corner and do most of their business there. That's why stores sell "corner litterboxes". It's not fool proof, they will leave little nuggets elsewhere in the cage as they go about their day but guinea pigs do naturally pick one area. No need to litter train. They will go where they go.

GreyWish

Cavy Champion
Cavy Gazer
im not saying they go their every time, they make their pee there and i can move it to different corners
i do it by just picking up the poos and putting them in the box until they catch on and figure out they should go there
i will see poos on the ground its not a 100% method and i know they will never fully go in the box but they do pee in their and make most of their poos in there
its training when you teach them to do it , i have pigs who wont use the litter box...
they go in the box for poos about 40-60% of the time

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Yup, that sounds about right. My pigs do the same thing without being litter trained. I'll bet most people here would report that their pigs did too. That's just how guinea pigs are. They have their way of doing things but let's not let this thread get derailed. It was about hay, not litter training. :)

SioCat

Cavy Slave
My pigs prefer Kaytee brand hay. I have a few different kinds. They won't eat Oxbow Timothy hay. I bought a bag of Oxbow recently because it looked good and I had forgotten which kind they didn't like. Now I'll probably just mix it with their bedding in their kitchen.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
Try their orchard grass is gorgeous and my pigs literally dive into it.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
The tractor supply hay has been a big hit with my guinea pigs. They have been eating it for the past hour non-stop.

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
I convinced hubby to let me get one of those compressed Timothy bales :) I have a storage bin big enough and my pigs have been enjoying it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.