Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Forced to move gpigs to the garage.

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So We are recarpeting the house and my dad forced me to move my guinea pigs to the garage. I cried, said no they can't, yeah they didn't go well. So I had to move them outside, I visit them, clean their cage everyday. We have a fan for them during the summer. Any idea's how i can get them back in the house?

iluvguineapigs2

Cavy Slave
How many do you have, and how big is the cage?
Also, what kind of weather do you have(especially in the winter)?

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
What about putting a rug under the guinea pig cage to protect the new carpet?

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Slave
Winter:
Doesn't seem like winter, isn't cold
and the cage is like 5 ft by 5ft something like that! Yes reaches maximum amount.

And my dad's like no I want them out, they smell (i spray febreeze around my room)main thing is they take up too much space.

iluvguineapigs2

Cavy Slave
One problem might be car exhaust (if you keep your cars in the garage,too)

ShadeyPig

Cavy Slave
So is the garage not an option now? What is the garage like? Are cars being parked in there?

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Slave
I forced my dad to not keep the car in the garage so he won't . The garage is insulated like a room and is usually at a normal temperature,

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Is there like a spare room in the house you could move them to? If they had their own room with a door to close, that might deter him from the "They smell" arguement.

I would sit down and have a talk with him and explain why they should be indoors.

lissie

Cavy Slave
If the garage is insulated, and not being used to park car, I don't see why it's an issue. It's just like any other spare room.

Last edited:

pinky

Cavy Slave
Is your garage attached so that it's heated/cooled along with your house? Do you store a lawn mower in there and have gas cans in there for it? Gasoline fumes can pose a risk, too. Any windows or ventilation? I'd be concerned about temperature fluctuation with no air circulation. A fan will blow the air around but if it's hot, it won't lower the temperature. We've lost our a/c a few times in our house and my guinea pigs would have never survived if we hadn't moved them to our cooler lower level. If the fleece smells, why not switch to Carefresh or some other bedding that doesn't require the amount of cleaning that fleece does so it keeps the odor down? Maybe your dad would let them back in that way.

Swiss cheese

Cavy Slave
Are there any windows in your garage? They can easily tolerate the slightly lower temperature if they are given enough time to adapt, but they need daylight.

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Slave
@lissie it seems to attract bugs, especially flies.
[MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] the lawn mower is kept in the shed. I do see what your concern is though. Yes there are 3 windows and during the day my dad keeps it open for sunlight. I am mainly worried about the flies. My guinea pigs are each very healthy. We usually have a breeze that comes in through the windows.
I have tried to talk to him but I honestly need some help in what to say.

beachgurl_1988

Cavy Slave
Be very careful with the flies- I had a problem with a friends pig getting infested with maggots after having her cage outside. It was DISGUSTING! You could get a sheet of plastic tarp to protect the carpet, or a peice of vinyl flooring.

Ask your dad if you can come up with a solution. Maybe he is tired of hay or the smell. Write out an agreement of when cage maintenance is done ie: floor vacuumed twice a day, cage freshened every day etc and stick to it- if you do your part they can stay in the house.

Swiss cheese

Cavy Slave
Be very careful with the flies- I had a problem with a friends pig getting infested with maggots after having her cage outside. It was DISGUSTING!

Ugh. From "regular" flies? Or what kind of flies were they?

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure how your pigs are getting a smell. I've NEVER smelled anything from my C&C cage. What bedding do you use and how often do you change or maintain it?

SioCat

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure how your pigs are getting a smell. I've NEVER smelled anything from my C&C cage. What bedding do you use and how often do you change or maintain it?

I was wondering the same thing. Granted, I only have one, but I do clean twice a day and change the fleece twice a week.

I don't know about your family, but if he "forced" you to put them out and you "forced" him not to park his car in the garage, it doesn't sound like any real talking is going on. Maybe, at
a time when you are both calm, you can sit and talk. Maybe promise to clean more often and ask for another chance?

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I was wondering the same thing. Granted, I only have one, but I do clean twice a day and change the fleece twice a week.

I don't know about your family, but if he "forced" you to put them out and you "forced" him not to park his car in the garage, it doesn't sound like any real talking is going on. Maybe, at
a time when you are both calm, you can sit and talk. Maybe promise to clean more often and ask for another chance?

I agree with that. Even with 2 pigs and once daily poo patrols, my cage never smelled. I only smelt the fresh hay.

I also agree that they may not be at the best mood for the conversation at the time. I also would attempt to discuss this when they're calmer. Be prepared for your dad to suddenly get upset, angry, frustrated or the like when the subject is brought up. Sometimes, no matter how lightly you bring up the subject, they're going to be just plain tired when you keep pushing them about it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.