Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables What is a good substute for tomatoes?

NikkisPigs

Cavy Slave
Bruce doesn't care for tomatoes! Haha! My girls go nuts over them but I've been trying with Bruce every day since I got him and...no. He's picked at them twice, eaten just a smidge, but he really doesn't seem to care for them. I give one cherry tomato per pig (even though Jasmine would like to eat the entire box by herself!).

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Maybe try slicing the tomato and rinsing the seeds out.

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
What are the other veggie/fruits he gets, and how often?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Are they cold? Penny doesn't like cold veggies. And Ferb won't eat a cherry tomato unless I slice it in half for him (yes, my piggies are totally spoiled).

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
I am pretty sure that tomatoes are not one of those veggies pigs need, so I think any other "few times a week" veg would be a substitute. What does he like?

NikkisPigs

Cavy Slave
Maybe try slicing the tomato and rinsing the seeds out.

I slice it in half but I haven't tried rinsing out the seeds--thank you! =)

What are the other veggie/fruits he gets, and how often?

He gets 2-3 leafs of red or green leaf lettuce, 3-4 sprigs of cilantro, an 1/8 of a green bell pepper, 2 green beans, sometimes a small cube of zucchini, sometimes a slice or two of cucumber (recent addition) and this is all split up so that he eats twice a day. Everything else he eats very well.

Are they cold? Penny doesn't like cold veggies. And Ferb won't eat a cherry tomato unless I slice it in half for him (yes, my piggies are totally spoiled).

I've tried them cold and room temperature and always slice them in half--silly Jasmine and Lily didn't know they were food until I started doing that! Haha! Thank you! ^_^

I am pretty sure that tomatoes are not one of those veggies pigs need, so I think any other "few times a week" veg would be a substitute. What does he like?

His favorite foods are red leaf lettuce and zucchini. Thank you ^_^

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I'm having the same problem with my new addition too! Except not just with tomatoes. I have tried hunks of regular tomatoes and cherry tomatoes with no success. I tricked her into eating carrots by slicing them thin and hiding them under lettuce while hand feeding. I had success with this method, only with carrot though! I've tried the same thing with zucchini and cucumber and had no success. Sooo good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.