Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Was this the right thing to do? Dominant baby?

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Hi guys,
So I introduced Domino to Carl today, no blood, no fights. So after a few hours I put them both in Domino's cage, all cleaned out and everything. We have noticed that Carl (2 1/2 months) seemed to be the dominant one! He butt chases Domino (4 1/2 years) everywhere and steals chew toys away from him. Is it normal for the baby to be dominant? I honestly feel so awful for Domino, he has been by himself for over four years. He has always seemed happy, not depressed at all but I thought I should get him a buddy cause he might be happier. Do you think that I did the right thing getting him a friend? Do you think the end result of this bonding will be worth it? I just feel sorry for him he's been happy by himself for 4 1/2 years and now I've ruined it:sad: Please give honest opinions.

Lauren0625

Cavy Slave
I can't answer for a fact, but Carl establishing dominance over domino just might be because of their personalities, or domino thinks this is normal because he's never had a friend before. To make sure there's no more complications, make sure your cage is big enough for both boys to go to opposite end of the cage and take a break for a while if they're annoyed by each other. Also, to prevent any other issues, make sure there's two of everything. Sorry for not giving a straight answer, but I did as best as I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
I can't answer for a fact, but Carl establishing dominance over domino just might be because of their personalities, or domino thinks this is normal because he's never had a friend before. To make sure there's no more complications, make sure your cage is big enough for both boys to go to opposite end of the cage and take a break for a while if they're annoyed by each other. Also, to prevent any other issues, make sure there's two of everything. Sorry for not giving a straight answer, but I did as best as I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for answering, I have two of everything except water bottles and they seem to be getting along pretty well. I'm going to bed now hopefully I can sleep!

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Also, I just read that you shouldn't pair a feisty younger pig with a more laid back older pig. I think that is exactly what i did. But I really didn't know Carl's personality when I got him. It seems they have the dominance worked out though, they are still chirping and Carl's butt sniffing but overall no blood or fighting!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Honestly whether or not a young dominant boar will work with an older boar depends on if the two of them can come to an agreement or not. Often the issue with a dominant younger boar happens when the older boar won't submit to them because they are so much smaller than them, particularly if the young boar challenges them to a chin raising contest and then the young boar loses, whoever wins the chin contest is supposed to get to be boss in guinea pig world. Even the most laid back boar might not be happy to be submissive to someone half their size. If Domino is happy to be submissive and let Carl be the boss then that is good.

Do remember that just because a guinea pig seems laid back to us doesn't mean that they are submissive or happy to be submissive. It sounds like all is well between your two boys for now so all you can do is wait and see if Domino eventually gets fed up with the young one being boss, or if Domino is happy to remain submissive in the long term.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.