Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Is euthanasia the best option?

PimpRonald

Cavy Gazer
Hey everyone. Ron, my little short-haired piggy, is 5 years old now and has been suffering from diarrhea the past few months. He's bloated, gassy, smelly, lumpy, and tenses or whines when he poops. The vet and I put him on antibiotics, which worked the first time, but the issues came back and they're not working this time. The vet wants to run blood tests, x-rays, ultrasounds, etc. Which total to a near $600 just to get started, which I would spend in a second if I had it but simply can't afford.
Maybe it's just me going through the bargaining phase of loss, but I need some support and maybe some convincing. It's just so hard to see him running around full of life, only for him to lay down awkwardly a minute later, visibly in pain. Is euthanasia the best option here?

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
It all depends on what you think, and what your vet thinks would be best if you can't afford additional treatment. Nobody who doesn't know Ron can say for sure. I do recommend taking a look at the JOURNEY Quality of Life Scale for Pets, most vets consider a score of 35 or below to be euthanasia territory.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Personally I'd do an X-ray. Blood work is very difficult and painful so I'd opt out of that. An X-ray would tell you if its stones at least and then you could decide from there. You could also contact a rescue to see if they would take him and provide the medical care if it's something fixable but to expensive for you. You'd have to give him up but imo that's better than putting to sleep a fixable pig. Good luck!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @barbaramudge. That all sounds like it could be bladder stones, and an x-ray would tell you for sure.

PimpRonald

Cavy Gazer
I'm confused as to how it could be bladder stones, though. Every problem is with his poop, but he seems to be peeing just fine. I've never noticed calcium buildup, blood, anything.
He scored about a 50 on the quality of life scale.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Try cut out all his fruits and veggies. Feed only hay and pellets and see if the diarrhea goes away. You can also supplement with Oxbow critical care.

I would also try probiotics. See if you could find Proviable-RB or Bene-Bac

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

Edit to add:

More info about diarrhea on this page.
https://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

I would ask the vet to do a culture on the poop.

Last edited:

PimpRonald

Cavy Gazer
I've already done all of those, and the vet prescribed antibiotic, which aren't working. The vet suggested that it might be a tumor or an abcess, and said that his intestines feel incredibly distended.

PimpRonald

Cavy Gazer
Basically the tests would find out what's causing a repetitive infection.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I'm confused as to how it could be bladder stones, though. Every problem is with his poop, but he seems to be peeing just fine. I've never noticed calcium buildup, blood, anything.
He scored about a 50 on the quality of life scale.

Pain while pooping and being lumpy and smelly is what made me think stones. My boy really only squeaked for pooping and his urine smelled strongly when he had his stones. Stones can be felt if they are big enough. I see you added more info in another response. No matter what I wouldn't let a pig suffer. Even if you don't wish to euthanize at this point you can certainly help manage pain. You could do pain meds until such a time as that is no longer effective and then euthanize. I think I'd still be doing an X-ray though. That's just me. I'd have to be 100% sure it wasn't fixable. You do what you feel is right though. What you are comfortable with. Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.