Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

It started with a letter

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
I came home 4 days ago to find my niece on my porch with a box and a letter for me. My niece wouldn't give me the box till I read the letter. Here's what it said...
After reading (and crying I won't lie) my niece handed me the box. As you can guess two tiny guinea pigs where inside. I called my vet who had and opening for two hours later ( longest 2 hours of my life I tell you) and got the pigs cheched out. They where a little malnerished but my doctor was able to get fluids in them. He showed me how to feed the pigs this special formula. I think it's for goats and cows... Anyway 8 feedings a day and they are doing great!
One is named Jack Skellington ( the grey and white one) and the other one doesn't have a name yet (the tortoiseshell ) maybe you guys can help me with his name:

P.s. They don't live in a kiddie pool that's where they have playtime while I clean their c&c cage.
Oh and can anyone tell me why Jack's so much bigger than his brother?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Pretty cute! What's the name of the formula you are feeding them?

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
@foggycreekcavy
He gave me oxbow critical care for herbavors mixed with dumors blue ribbon kid milk repacer and thank you! I'll try to get a better pic up soon.��

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
The Critical Care is perfect, but the kid milk replacer is not. Guinea pigs shouldn't be fed any kind of milk product.

It's unusual that Jack is so much bigger. How old are they now? It's possible the other is a runt.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, there's been a discussion over at GL about the use of goat milk for orphaned guinea pig pups. It's apparently the closest thing to GP milk in nutrients. It's not very widely available, though. If you use it, [MENTION=36182]StephsFurries[/MENTION], I'd like to know how it goes and whether the pups have any digestive problems with it.

Actually, the pups are born ready to eat and drink. The problem is that if the sow has died, there's no one to teach them what's good to eat and what's not. You need a GP nanny for a while. Maybe you could foster a sow for a rescue until the pups are older.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
What a touching letter and story! It's great of you to give them the care they need. How about George for the tortoiseshell?

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
The Critical Care is perfect, but the kid milk replacer is not. Guinea pigs shouldn't be fed any kind of milk product.

It's unusual that Jack is so much bigger. How old are they now? It's possible the other is a runt.

Their five days old.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Actually, there's been a discussion over at GL about the use of goat milk for orphaned guinea pig pups. It's apparently the closest thing to GP milk in nutrients. It's not very widely available, though. If you use it, @StephsFurries, I'd like to know how it goes and whether the pups have any digestive problems with it.

Actually, the pups are born ready to eat and drink. The problem is that if the sow has died, there's no one to teach them what's good to eat and what's not. You need a GP nanny for a while. Maybe you could foster a sow for a rescue until the pups are older.

They have been having normal bowel movements so far and I'll keep you updated. I would love to foster a GP but non of our shelters keep guinea pigs :( I'll look farther to FL tho.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
What a touching letter and story! It's great of you to give them the care they need. How about George for the tortoiseshell?

Thank you that's a good name! I'll add it to my list.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Maybe my sisters pig Lily will nanny them ... She adopted a female pig but she had pups then.... I'll try it and let you know

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Read https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html before you put them together. You won't need to do everythng they talk about, but you will need to put them together in a neutral area and then put them in a thoroughly cleaned cage. Sows and pups are usually no problem to introduce to each other.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Read https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html before you put them together. You won't need to do everythng they talk about, but you will need to put them together in a neutral area and then put them in a thoroughly cleaned cage. Sows and pups are usually no problem to introduce to each other.
OK thank you I will read it. What about Lily's herd mates though? Should I put them in her cage or theirs?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How many pigs do you have in the cage? And how large is it?

Overcrowding will cause real problems, and you'd be better off to leave them separate, or to just introduce them to Lily. How old are Lily's pups? And are they males or females?

MamaP

Cavy Slave
So cute. What a sad story but Jack and his brother have a bright future! Thanks for sharing and good luck with everything!

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
How many pigs do you have in the cage? And how large is it?

Overcrowding will cause real problems, and you'd be better off to leave them separate, or to just introduce them to Lily. How old are Lily's pups? And are they males or females?
Their are three pigs plus Lily in a 2 by 8 cage. All three pups are females and about a year I believe.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
So cute. What a sad story but Jack and his brother have a bright future! Thanks for sharing and good luck with everything!
And thank you for your kind words!

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Just a Quick update Lily has decided to baby sit them both and they are in their run right now... they've already figured out the water bottle (after Lily got tired of them trying to nurse she showed them the bottle) Pippa is helping to! She's been showing them that hay is good but they haven't figured out veggie time yet. Jack Seems to be slower and more cautious while his brother has been into EVERYTHING. We have named him George Grimm (Thank you CavyChrissy for the name).

Hope to have some cute Pics soon, but till then heres to better pics of my boys.
George Grimm

Jack Skellinton

and here's one so you can see how different their sizes are:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Glad they're doing well. Don't forget that you'll have to separate the boys again at 21 days of age.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Glad they're doing well. Don't forget that you'll have to separate the boys again at 21 days of age.

Thanks for the reminder! I will mark it on my calendar:)

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Just a little update. Jack was injured while having floor time. I don't want to double post so I'll leave the link here https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/109281-Guinea-pig-in-dogs-mouth! In case you want to know what happened.
On other news the boys have been eating veggies and drinking from a water bottle, grooming themselves, and playing. I noticed one of the boys trying to mate with Lily ( starting to wonder if their older than I was told) so they where moved to their new cage. I posted a picture of it here https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/71362-Let-s-see-your-cage-Pictures-please/page85
So let me know what you guys think of that. Jack and George are going to the vet for a wellness exam tomorrow and I'll let you all know about Jacks wound on his other post. Thanks for everybobies help here's a few prezzies:[/URL[URL="https://s1174.photobucket.com/user/crazyandproudofit/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsruvxk8dq.jpg.html"]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.