Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Oreo decided to pick a fight with a Snuggie

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
I tossed my girlfriend's Snuggie over the back of her chair. Apparently Oreo saw the sleeves hanging to the floor as a personal challenge, and she's been wrestling with the dangly bits for 15 minutes now. We've only had her for a couple of weeks, and this is the first time she's really seemed comfortable and playful; most of time she's loose in the apartment, she picks a corner to flop down in and doesn't really do a whole lot.

On a side note, I took her to the vet last week for a general health exam and a look at that lump on her shoulder, as well as to ask about getting her spayed. The vet aspirated the lump and took a sample, and she thinks it's a tumor. She ruled out an abscess since there were no bacteria in the sample she looked at, and she has an appointment to get it surgically removed this Thursday. After she recovers from that, we're going to get her spayed (the vet didn't want to put her through both surgeries at once).

On the upside, she's definitely gotten more accustomed to her new home. She's figured out her water bottle and has been eating veggies from our hands now...unfortunately, she's also gotten comfortable enough to poop on the carpet, within inches of the litterbox.

EmPiggieFan

Cavy Slave
Aww how lovely, pigs will poop where ever they like. I made them a lovely cuddle sack thing but I don't give it to them anymore as they spend one day with it and its soaked through silly piggies. May I ask why you are getting her spayed?

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Cute bunny! Bunnies love to play. I hope you have lots of toys for her to pick up and throw around. Some rabbits will even chase a string.

I had a bunny called Big Bob that loved to play with dangley cat toys. I had a cat toy hanging from a table. The toy had some bells on it and it was on a bouncy type string. That rabbit use to spend hours running up to that toy, grabbing it, pulling it back, then letting it fly. He would then run happy laps around the house.

I'm still trying to get Pepper to play but she is so serious! She'll do the binkies around the apartment but she doesn't really show much interest in her toys. :/

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
May I ask why you are getting her spayed?
Rabbits have a really high chance of reproductive disorders (cysts, cancer) if they're left intact. Plus it cuts down on hormonal behavior, aggression, pee spraying, etc. They're also supposedly more receptive to litter training after being fixed.
Cute bunny! Bunnies love to play. I hope you have lots of toys for her to pick up and throw around. Some rabbits will even chase a string.

I had a bunny called Big Bob that loved to play with dangley cat toys. I had a cat toy hanging from a table. The toy had some bells on it and it was on a bouncy type string. That rabbit use to spend hours running up to that toy, grabbing it, pulling it back, then letting it fly. He would then run happy laps around the house.

I'm still trying to get Pepper to play but she is so serious! She'll do the binkies around the apartment but she doesn't really show much interest in her toys. :/
Thanks :) so far we've got her a dangly thing made of wood blocks hanging in her cage, a woven hay ball, and a little wood ball inside a wood cylinder that makes noise as it rolls. So far she seems to like the hay ball and the dangly thing. But I've never seen her have as much fun as she did with this snuggie.
Good to see you around! In watching your video, it appears as though she is entertaining herself......cute.

Question........I know that you have done lots of research, but I'm told that one shouldn't have exposed wires in a rabbit-friendly home because they love to chew them? I see that there is a whole nest of wires by that chair? It's difficult for me to imagine any home without wires these days!

What have you learned from your research, and have you observed Oreo nibbling on them?
Back at ya! :) I've been here, just lurking mostly.

And you're absolutely right about the wires. We took Oreo home pretty recently so I haven't had much of a chance to rearrange the apartment, but hopefully I'll be able to do something about that rat's nest this weekend. In the meantime, she's only let out of her cage when one of us can watch her to make sure she doesn't get into anything she shouldn't. For now, though, she hasn't really seemed interested in chewing on those, but we're always ready to intervene if she tries.

Demiba

Cavy Slave
Love the video! As someone who has lost a parallel cable and answering machine to one of our house rabbits, make sure you hide or cover up the wires. They seem to find the most expensive ones the tastiest! We used clear aquarium filter tubing sliced down one side and put the cord inside that.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Hardware stores sell cord wraps. For that nest of wires you might be better off getting some sort of shelf or box to put them in to protect them. I personally I'm a big fan of(broken link removed) shelves where you can hide the nest behind a door or in a basket.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.