Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Transparent liquid on poop - Is my guinea pig sick? I really need help.

The Pigs

Cavy Slave
I was enjoying my morning cuddles with Momo yesterday morning, but she had pooped on me 3 times in 5 minutes, which was unusual for her. There was a normal poop, and then there were 2 more liquidy, squishy poops I had accidentally touched (ew). I put her back, cleaned up her mess, bla bla bla. And she was acting like her normal self. But this morning when I was cleaning their cage, I realized a poop that's hard to explain but here's a picture:
IMG_20200704_071911_4.jpg

And it was on Momo's side of the cage. (Apple and Momo are seperated) I got really sad and freaked out when I noticed this. Is Momo sick? Please reply I need help. Momo is acting just fine, but still I am worried.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That picture is very blurry and hard to tell, but I feel that it's a good possibility that it's a mucus plug. Anyone elses thoughts?

If I'm right, it's normal and harmless.

The Pigs

Cavy Slave
What is a mucus plug? Sorry about the bad quality picture my hands were very shaky and i used a terrible camera

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What is a mucus plug? Sorry about the bad quality picture my hands were very shaky and i used a terrible camera

The vagina of a sow is actually blocked by a mucus plug when she is not in season. A sow's estrus cycle is typically 18 days, and when she goes into heat, this mucus plug clears so that she can accept the male.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I agree with [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION].

The Pigs

Cavy Slave
Ahh okay thank you i was worried that it was really bad, like, deadly. Or is it? D:

anyways i think she's fine, since ive cleaned the cage she has had no more poops like that just regular ones. sorry this was a gross topic but i was worried <3

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ahh okay thank you i was worried that it was really bad, like, deadly. Or is it? D:

<3

It's harmless and completely normal. You'll likely see many more in the future.

The Pigs

Cavy Slave
Phew, okay. Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.