Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece 2x3.5 liners, how many yards of fabric needed?

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
I'm going to make 2x3.5 liners (for 2x7 c&c, easier to wash/dry) and was wondering how many yards of fabric I'd need for each liner? There will be two layers of u-haul in it.

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So, one yard is 36 inches. Your cage will be 98 inches. 98/2=49
36x3=108 inches. :) 3 yards.
6 yards if you want to make fleece on both sides.

and yes.. I totally busted out my calculator ;)

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
So, one yard is 36 inches. Your cage will be 98 inches. 98/2=49
36x3=108 inches. :) 3 yards.
6 yards if you want to make fleece on both sides.

and yes.. I totally busted out my calculator ;)

lol thanks! So 1.5 yards will make one 2x3.5 basically? 3 yards will make the entire 2x7?

lissie

Cavy Slave
You'd be better of with 2x4 liner and overlap them. If you do the 2x3.5, there will be a crack in the middle and poop will be harder to clean.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Yes, but only if you do not want fleece on both sides. Are you going to sew them? If so, I would make the fleece on both sides so the U-Haul doesn't wear down fast. You can do 2 different styles of fleece for one liner. :) I love having them this way. Gives me more options so I don't constantly feel like I want more cute fleece.. Although the urge to go buy more fleece never goes away- just def helps it. :D

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I would just make each liner a few inches longer so there will be no crack in the middle. Tada- no poos in the middle, as @lissie just said.

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
You'd be better of with 2x4 liner and overlap them. If you do the 2x3.5, there will be a crack in the middle and poop will be harder to clean.

So two 2x4? In this case, I might as well just do the 2x7. I was just hoping for an easier wash/dry process but if I just wash one at a time and line dry, I'll be okay. I didn't think about the poop catching in the middle. Grr.

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
Yes, but only if you do not want fleece on both sides. Are you going to sew them? If so, I would make the fleece on both sides so the U-Haul doesn't wear down fast. You can do 2 different styles of fleece for one liner. :) I love having them this way. Gives me more options so I don't constantly feel like I want more cute fleece.. Although the urge to go buy more fleece never goes away- just def helps it. :D

I'm going to attempt to make them until I save up enough funds for PPS to make me some. Just have to wait until the end of July :) I'm going make a flipper type deal so fleece on both sides. So I'll need 6 yards for a 2x7 liner then? I might do one side a plain color and the other a "cute" color...that way, like you said, I won't want to buy AS often! lol

lissie

Cavy Slave
If your washer takes the larger one, then it shouldn't be a problem. I have (broken link removed) of washer/dryer, a 2x7 pad will never fit.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I'm going to attempt to make them until I save up enough funds for PPS to make me some. Just have to wait until the end of July :) I'm going make a flipper type deal so fleece on both sides. So I'll need 6 yards for a 2x7 liner then? I might do one side a plain color and the other a "cute" color...that way, like you said, I won't want to buy AS often! lol

3 yards should be enough for one liner. Just fold the fabric in the middle. Most fleece from Joann is 58 - 60 inches wide.

58" folded in half will be 29"
29" x 3 yards is big enough for 2x7 cage.

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
3 yards should be enough for one liner. Just fold the fabric in the middle. Most fleece from Joann is 58 - 60 inches wide.

58" folded in half will be 29"
29" x 3 yards is big enough for 2x7 cage.

Okay that's what I thought. The specific fabrics I chose are 58" and 59" wide. Our cage is only 27" wide so it'd give just enough for it to shrink. As for washer, it fits a large king size comforter in it just perfect so I'm thinking it will be big enough? It's a Frigidaire top loader...can't get picture of it atm. So I'll buy 6 yards and make two liners then. Will one u-haul package be enough for 2 - two layered liners or should I buy two packs?

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I didn't even think about folding it in half!! Great idea!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Okay that's what I thought. The specific fabrics I chose are 58" and 59" wide. Our cage is only 27" wide so it'd give just enough for it to shrink. As for washer, it fits a large king size comforter in it just perfect so I'm thinking it will be big enough? It's a Frigidaire top loader...can't get picture of it atm. So I'll buy 6 yards and make two liners then. Will one u-haul package be enough for 2 - two layered liners or should I buy two packs?

One uhaul pad will not be enough for 2 - two-layered liners.
A uhaul pad is 68" x 85". You'll have to prepare for the shrinkage too.
If fold in half, you're still 13 inches short.

You will need 3 pads. You'll have leftovers from the 3rd pad to make small potty pads.

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
One uhaul pad will not be enough for 2 - two-layered liners.
A uhaul pad is 68" x 85". You'll have to prepare for the shrinkage too.
If fold in half, you're still 13 inches short.

You will need 3 pads. You'll have leftovers from the 3rd pad to make small potty pads.

My husband suggested buying four so I reckon I'll do that and make some lap and couch pads, they love peeing on the couch so we'd been using a towel! lol I wash fleece AND u-haul before sewing, correct? Like 4+ times on the fleece and I think twice for u-haul? Luckily I don't have to lug it far since my grandma lives right across the street from us...best part about buying a house close to family ;)

lissie

Cavy Slave
I wash fleece AND u-haul before sewing, correct? Like 4+ times on the fleece and I think twice for u-haul?

Yes, wash and dry before you sew. They shrink!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
You wash the fleece until both sides wick.

edcaguy

Cavy Slave
I wish I was crafty with a sewing machine $98 is too high for me for flippers pre tax and postage good luck to you

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
I wish I was crafty with a sewing machine $98 is too high for me for flippers pre tax and postage good luck to you

Trust me I am far from being sewing savvy. I am buying the fabric and my grandma is going to make them for me once I've washed and shrunk everything. I'm going to start with a 2x4 liner so I can move our sick pig out of a store bought (only 8sqft) into a 2x4 c&c. Flippers cost way too much IMO, especially with how many I would need. Making them is easiest for now, I will eventually be buying from PiggiePetShop though as she does amazing work on liners. Just need to save up the funds first.

lissie

Cavy Slave
You could just pay your grandma or buy her nice gifts for sewing the liners for you. That should save you lots of money.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.