Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Considering a Guinea Pig for my daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShihTzuLover

Cavy Slave
GuineaBaby - first of all your blog is beautiful! I write a blog too. Well, two of them actually. A personal one, and one about pets.

There are some very strong opinions on this site, but as many others have stated, taking a Guinea Pig or two out of a shelter and putting them into a loving home that will give them plenty of attention and floor time, it's FINE they will live in a 2 x 3. I would suggest getting two bonded, adult females, as they can tolerate smaller spaces a bit better.

I rescued my two boys as one year olds and they are super lovable and friendly. I know your daughter would love them! They were previously in a home with children, so they were used to being handled by them. That's a route you could go as well! Adopting Guinea Pigs that are used to children so your daughter could easily handle them. My pigs never bite or struggle when in your lap, which is perfect for a child your daughter's age. Ten is a bit young, but she sounds like a smart, responsible little girl. When I was her age I had a green iguana, and he was VERY high maintenance. I kept up on his care very well, and mostly on my own. Maybe a couple reminders here and there from Mom, but children ARE capable at ten years old of responsibility as long as their parents keep up on teaching them, as you obviously will.

Not having CONSTANT access to veterinary care isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be. I live in an area that is at least 45 minutes away from an emergency vet, and even THEY are closed on weekends. Should I not EVER own a pet because of that? No. That's ridiculous. My animals receive proper care and have to this day never gotten ill. My dog is three years old and he has yet to get sick from anything. I've also had dwarf hamsters live to over three years old, gerbils who reached six years of age, etc. You can never guarantee anything, but as long as an animal receives proper care an emergency vet is not often needed. That's just my two cents, and I've owned over a dozen healthy, long-lived animals in my lifetime so far. The one pet I had suddenly fall ill was a Syrian Hamster, who was rushed to the vet immediately, and she passed on in their care.

I think people on this forum need to take a deep breath and RELAX. It's a good thing people are being kinder. No one is born knowing everything, so why be so harsh and negative? When I was twenty years old I learned for the first time that Iams was not a good food for my dog. I had someone on a forum kindly tell me that, and I've fed grain free, holistic foods ever since. I don't agree that people need to be harsh to educate others.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I think your piggy(s) will have a wonderful home. Just think of the cage as the bedroom.

couchon

Cavy Slave
I already said that the improvement to the living plan sounds great, and my comments are not directed e OP. I do think there are serious concerns with a piggy living on a boat, everything from how to the boat may be at sea, vet access, and even how a piggy would respond to the motions of the boat. I am sure they are a great family, b that doesn't mean a guinea if is right for boat life is. I am sorry no one wants to address these concerns. I asked a similar question a while ago on another forum (not for the on a boat but for an extended trip on ine( and there were a lot more people with constructive concerns. And since pigs don't really care for human company, I don't think a busy family is worse for the pig than a lack of a friend. But again, my comments were directed not at the OP but to people saying, in general, not just in this case that a smaller cage is no big deal. Yes, I did prefer how the forum used to be - I think it was more effective in getting through to people, and I felt there were a lot more like minded people who felt it was not OK to cut corners. But it's not my forum, so I am off to take care of my own animals.

GuineaBaby

Cavy Slave
We have an approaching storm and I need to ready the boat. Expecting wind to gust to 45-50. We're on anchor tonight so I must be extra vigilant. I want to reply to all of this but will wait until I have the time to do it. For now let me say I am happy to be a part of this forum and will stick around if we do adopt a piggie. I look forward to learning more and helping others. Thank you!

PS Anyone in coastal North Carolina? That's where we are now and it's pretty grizzly outside.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
@GuineaBaby

Be safe we had a lot of nasty weather here in Maryland.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I already said that the improvement to the living plan sounds great, and my comments are not directed e OP. I do think there are serious concerns with a piggy living on a boat, everything from how to the boat may be at sea, vet access, and even how a piggy would respond to the motions of the boat. I am sure they are a great family, b that doesn't mean a guinea if is right for boat life is. I am sorry no one wants to address these concerns. I asked a similar question a while ago on another forum (not for the on a boat but for an extended trip on ine( and there were a lot more people with constructive concerns. And since pigs don't really care for human company, I don't think a busy family is worse for the pig than a lack of a friend. But again, my comments were directed not at the OP but to people saying, in general, not just in this case that a smaller cage is no big deal. Yes, I did prefer how the forum used to be - I think it was more effective in getting through to people, and I felt there were a lot more like minded people who felt it was not OK to cut corners. But it's not my forum, so I am off to take care of my own animals.

What animal is made to live on a boat? None, neither are humans but plenty have adapted. For someone neglecting their dog(in your own words) You would be chewing out you for the condition that large dog lives in. Its stuck in a small studio apartment so crowded that you have to step in the gp cage to get into the bathroom. You work long hours and even if you are home, you are sometimes so lazy you know it doesn't get enough exercise, yet you have continued to neglect his exercise requirement. Your place is so crowded that if he wanted to zoom around while you are working your long hours, it can't. And you seriously have the nerve to mention a guinea pig kept in a cage 3 inches too small even though it would have plenty of floor time in the family room, the little girl's bedroom and out on deck with a nice breeze. You made all kinds of excuses as to why you took the dog and kept it. You know how horrible its living conditions are yet you continue to keep it. IMO any complaint you have about the living condition of this Guinea Pig is voided, you as an neglectful(abusive) dog owner, have no right to say squat about a GP living on a boat, a cage( bedroom) that is 3 inches too small. When you give up that large dog you keep locked into a small studio apartment with no room to even play while you work long hours and still refuse to give it a couple miles a day walk, you can give your opinion without sounding like a hypocritical witch.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Yes, I did prefer how the forum used to be - I think it was more effective in getting through to people, and I felt there were a lot more like minded people who felt it was not OK to cut corners. But it's not my forum, so I am off to take care of my own animals.

The problem with a forum that is abrasive and harsh is that it chases away the people who need the education the most. You are doing a disservice to guinea pigs as a whole if you chase away owners who come here to learn. If they are caring for their animals in a manner that is not correct calling them names, or attacking them is not going to get them to change their ways. It may work for some, as it worked for you, but most people will get defensive. I used to read this forum, and several others like it for various animal species 4-5 years ago. I was appalled by some of the attacks (especially when children were the target). I left them all, and swore off forums. Then about two years ago I started reading a fish forum that does not have members like that. They slowly work with people at their own pace to get their fish into ideal living conditions. And, I see far more successes on there than failures. Education is a process, and it takes time. Shamming and name calling do not work. Your pedagogy is archaic.

couchon

Cavy Slave
@lunarminx , what a pathetic person you are. First, get your facts straight. I never had to step in the pig cage (over a corner, yes). And I haven't lived in that apartment for 3 years now. And I neither neglect nor abuse my dog. Care to back those accusations up, because there are laws against slander, even on the Internet, and I guarantee you none of your nonsense accusations would stand up in court. Not getting the perfect amount of exercise, while bad, is a far cry from neglect. Are you also going to slander all the parents out there whose kids are overweight and play video games a bit too much? Let's call Child Protective Services together (and then have you get sued for your nonsense). But I digress. Do I not do enough in the exercise department, sure. But my dog also gets the best possible food, medical care, accommodations, and attention. And sorry, at over 7 years of age he is not a zoomies dog.

I will speak my mind about guinea pigs without calling anyone names, like you did with me or being rude, but I WILL speak my mind. You can stay the pathetic little person, calling people names behind a computer screen. Hahaha, good for an evening laugh! Whew, the Internet sure IS something! Must definitely tell this story to the dog rescue person who found my dog and gave him to me and thanks me every year for taking him in. Just again, be careful with your words - you don't want to have to go and prove what you say, and slander is very, very real.

Last edited:

ShihTzuLover

Cavy Slave

It's false that Guinea Pigs "don't care for human company". My boys wheek and play MORE when I'm in the room right next to their cage, and absolutely love to have their chests scratched and to be out of their cages, on my lap. They have bonded with me, and will wheek happily when they see me. When I call their names they run to the side of the cage, put their paws up on the bars, and gleefully beg for treats. Guinea Pigs can learn to trust humans, to enjoy our presence, to respond to our voices, and to feel comforted by our touch. That is not an animal that doesn't care for human company. They thrive with Guinea Pig companions more than with the company of humans - but to say they don't care for our company is a false statement. If my pigs had their way, I would live right next to their cage, (or even in it!). They protest when I leave.

couchon

Cavy Slave
My quote was "don't REALLY [capitalized for emphasis, please quote me correctly] care for human company," implying it's not a huge deal to them. Your pigs also may be the exception.

Last edited:

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
@lunarminx , what a pathetic person you are. First, get your facts straight. I never had to step in the pig cage (over a corner, yes). And I haven't lived in that apartment for 3 years now. And I neither neglect nor abuse my dog. Care to back those accusations up, because there are laws against slander, even on the Internet, and I guarantee you none of your nonsense accusations would stand up in court. Not getting the perfect amount of exercise, while bad, is a far cry from neglect. Are you also going to slander all the parents out there whose kids are overweight and play video games a bit too much? Let's call Child Protective Services together (and then have you get sued for your nonsense). But I digress. Do I not do enough in the exercise department, sure. But my dog also gets the best possible food, medical care, accommodations, and attention. And sorry, at over 7 years of age he is not a zoomies dog.

I will speak my mind about guinea pigs without calling anyone names, like you did with me or being rude, but I WILL speak my mind. You can stay the pathetic little person, calling people names behind a computer screen. Hahaha, good for an evening laugh! Whew, the Internet sure IS something! Must definitely tell this story to the dog rescue person who found my dog and gave him to me and thanks me every year for taking him in. Just again, be careful with your words - you don't want to have to go and prove what you say, and slander is very, very real.

Lol......get a grip, you're threatening slander when I only repeated what you have said. How pathetic are you? You condem a cage for being 3 inches too small while spouting your BS about living space and exercise. Your dog lives in a little studio apartment all day while you work long hours, your so called accommodations are lacking for even a toy type animal. You fully admit it doesn't get the exercise it needs. You claim you like the forum the old way, beng harsh while getting your point across, that works as long as the harsh isn't pointed at you. You can say you took the dog, saved its life but you could have taken it to a no kill shelter on your own knowing you had such horribliy small living conditions. Its not slander when someone repeats what that person says and the facts you push that point in such a threatening way shows how dim your bulb is. Next time you tell someone the living space of a pet they want is too small, look at your own pet. Like most bratty children, you are dismissed.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Threads that descend into name-calling will be closed. Like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.