Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Help me design my cage!

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Okay. So my cage is gonna need a lot of help lol. I have two sows, Bailey Noel and Matchi. I never posted Matchi's adoption cause I kept forgetting, but I adopted her at 3 on the two months ago from CCR (Cali Cavy Rescue). She's a runt, who loves to escape! She can fit her head up to her shoulders through the bars - - She is 5 ½ months now! I just moved, so at the moment they are in an XL dog crate (my flight got pushed back 2x so my mom didn't have the time to get me the supplies before I landed. I don't recommend United). Tomorrow we are going around and getting them everything they need for their cage!

So here are my questions :

1) Is a 2x5 with a 2x2 offset loft big enough for them? I don't think Matchi will get very big, but if you think I should go bigger, let me know[emoji4]

2) How high of coroaplast do I need so Matchi can't climb it? She's done well with 6" at my dad's, but she is a climber and will climb when I make veggies. Would 7" / 8" be good, or to high?

3) I'm getting the coroaplast from Home Depot - - How much would I need?

4) I've considered grids for a lid, but I've heard closet shelving. Opinions on which is better?

5) How much fleece would I need for cage + loft, and have extra to make stuff?

6) How do I make a ramp?

7) Can someone link the gallery so I can get some cage ideas? I'm on a tablet & can not find it lol

Thank you! x

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer

Answered in my own option (others may have better options)

1) Is a 2x5 with a 2x2 offset loft big enough for them? I don't think Matchi will get very big, but if you think I should go bigger, let me know. 2x5 is good for 2 sows. Bigger is better. and the 2x2 is good as well.

2) How high of coroaplast do I need so Matchi can't climb it? She's done well with 6" at my dad's, but she is a climber and will climb when I make veggies. Would 7" / 8" be good, or to high? 7 to 8 inches is good, its nice and high so they can stick their butts up to the cage and poop.

3) I'm getting the coroaplast from Home Depot - - How much would I need? I would but 1 smaller one and 1 lager one.. (one for loft and the other for the cage itself)

4) I've considered grids for a lid, but I've heard closet shelving. Opinions on which is better? I hear that shelving is more convinient.

5) How much fleece would I need for cage + loft, and have extra to make stuff? I honestly buy fleece blankets from walmart. They are 3 dollars and usuallt its enough to cover my cage. (if not I will use 2 blankets) I also put cheap towels underneath. the fleece

6) How do I make a ramp? I used 2 grids and I Ziptide them together.

wombats

Cavy Slave
A 2x5 base is very good for two sows; the "prefered minimum" is 2x4 for two sows, so 2x5 is even better.

And because Matchi is still young, she may still grow a bit so what you could do is either cut the coroplast to 7-8" as you said and keep the bedding a bit low to see how she does. If she gets big enough and can't wiggle through the grids, then just cut it back down to 6". My only concern would be ventilation but if it's an open top they should be just fine. You could also take some cardboard and temporarily raise the sides to see if she'll outgrow her tiny size, but my only concern with that is if she stays small it'll be annoying trying to Matchi-proof it again.

And if you get the $14 coroplast at homedepot, two sheets would be best. You'll need one full sheet and some of the second sheet for the base, and you can tape them together underneath and on the outside sides so they're attached. I didn't do the math, but you should have enough for the loft as well.

Shelving is a fantastic lid--just cut and file it to size and zip tie it on for a hinge. You can also cut it flush to the sides--I accidentally cut it too big as you can see.

As for the fleece and ramp, I can't help you there but Bacon4EverEver is right; fleece blankets will do just fine and you can get a couple for a few bucks. Joann tends to have a better selection as well, but they're more expensive. They do have frequent sales, though, so I don't get it unless it's on sale for $5 or less. It's up to you though, either way works just fine.

(And here's the link. It works terribly on mobile, I know, but if you click on the links the pictures still come up (broken link removed) )

wombats

Cavy Slave
Oops, it didn't post my pictures and now it's too late to edit the post--sorry!
Here they are though. It's a nice lid, cheap, nice looking, and heavy enough that the cats can't get in.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the help!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I would forget the loft and if you can just stick to the 2x5 or make a 2x6.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I would forget the loft and if you can just stick to the 2x5 or make a 2x6.
I really like having lofts, but cause Matchi is basically done growing (I mean, Mocha at 7 weeks was the same size as her, RIP) I'll probably do a 2x6 with a kitchen

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Okay. Whole new cage idea.

Stand: I convinced my moms bf to get the grid stand from the Guinea Pig Cages Store. So Yay! We are getting the 2x5 one

Cage Size: I'll be keeping the loft. I was talking to the lady that runs the rescue where i got Matchi from & she said as long as they are used to it i can still have it. I'll still do the 2x2 loft, half extra sleeping area, half extra food + water.

My mom is still going to get closet shelving for the lid. Any flaws with this plan?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.