Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat Opinion on wooden hidey houses?

piggy_mom

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
As some of you know i will be getting 2 sows in March. I will be going shopping for cage accessories at the middle of February (You can never be too early!) And i was wondering if i should get a wooden house? I will be getting a large size pigloo and several cozy sacks but i see that some people have wooden hidey houses in their cages. I read some reviews on petco and petsmart, and people say that , the wood really soaks up urine and is stained by poops as well. what is your opinion? should i get a wooden hidey? will it be a problem if i use wood pellets + fleece with a wooden hidey?

Last edited:

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
I had one when my girls were small and they loved it because it kept the light out. They outgrew it and I haven't gotten around to making another. I like them as pee stains don't really bother me, but I only use wooden houses with bedding and not on fleece because it doesn't go with fleece as well in my opinion. I think they are fine as long as you are willing to spot clean under them so the poop doesn't build up to much.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
They can soak urine, but that depends on where they like to pee and where you put it. One thing that wood does that pigloos and cuddle cups can't provide is chewing. They can chew on it and it's better than them eating plastic and fabric.

saeva

Cavy Slave
I have a lot of wooden houses (I don`t like plastic :) ) and other wooden things and everything is fine :)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
You can have a wooden house that doesn't have a bottom. Just stay away from the sugar filled snack shacks. I've never had a house in mine or a pigloo. I do a lot of open hidies, yeah I know. Fleece forests, tents and tunnels. mine will sleep out in the open a lot.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
When I first started I bought a lot of accessories that I didn't really need or it wasn't practical.

First purchase:
Tree Stump Hideout - They like to go in, but they would always get into argument who gets to go in. It had one entrance/exit, not good with Guinea Pigs. No circulation especially on hot days

Pigloo- Same thing, one entrance/exit. Got into argument when one piggie was already in and the others wanted to go in too. No circulation on hot days.

Wooden House- Not fan. One entrance/exit. Urine stains on the walls, kind of small if you have adult piggies.

Snak Shak Log- didn't read what it was made out of, but it took my piggies 1 1/2 year to demolish one. As long as they don't eat it constantly then I think (IMO) it is fine. I like to fill the top hole with hay and use it as a hay holder also can be used as a tunnel.

Snak Shak house- different from the log. It had the straw roof which was really hard and was afraid it poke my guinea pigs mouths so returned it.

Best bet: save your money :) with purchasing the houses. You can use cardboard boxes and cut two or three entrances (piggies loved) and you can always throw away when they urinate on the walls. You can make a fleece tunnel using bent grid square and cover it with fleece. Or a fleece house.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I have a bottomless wooden house, and my girls love it. It actually seems to stay cleaner than the plastic pigloos. I rotate it in and out every few months because I like to keep things fresh for them. As @CavieGuy said, they'll love things like cardboard boxes. I often rotate in shoe boxes, which they really enjoy.

piggy_mom

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
is the medium size okay? (broken link removed) i have 2 1 year old sows.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have some big piggies, I would get as large as you can afford.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Piggy_mom, that ones seems a bit small. Something more like this-- (broken link removed) that has a window as well as a door. Or even this one (broken link removed) in the extra large size (for rabbits).

You want one large enough for a pig to turn around and escape if another pig traps them in there. And smaller pigs can fit through the windows (provided you get the extra large size).

In the rescue we use mostly wooden houses and the large Fiddlesticks (like this https://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-Tropi...907&sr=8-1&keywords=large+fiddlesticks+animal ).

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
If you have extra grids, you can bend 2 and zip tie them together to make a large tunnel and cover it with fleece. Its large enough they can turn around in, have two sides to get out of. You can drap fleece over the ends to fully cover them too. And when its hot outside you can place frozen water bottles or ice packs on top for the to cool off under.

100_0709.jpg100_0715.jpg

piggy_mom

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
If you have extra grids, you can bend 2 and zip tie them together to make a large tunnel and cover it with fleece. Its large enough they can turn around in, have two sides to get out of. You can drap fleece over the ends to fully cover them too. And when its hot outside you can place frozen water bottles or ice packs on top for the to cool off under.

View attachment 72139View attachment 72140

This seems like a good idea!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.