Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

N. CA: Batten Down The Hatches

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Worst storm since 2008 is scheduled to hit later tonight. Don't forget your pets and nail down what may fly outside as we are in for some serious wind gusts! They are advising to take down outdoor lighting/Xmas decor until after the storm passes, which is by Fri afternoon it sounds like.

Good luck to all affected!

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
I'm going to put veggies for piggies in a cooler during the storm. We tend to lose power a lot in the mountains during the big storms. Guinea pigs don't understand not being able to open up the refrigerator during a power outage. They have forecast 8-10 inches of rain in the next 48 hours for our area.

Annmarie

Cavy Gazer
I am also in Western Washington, we have a generator in case the power goes out, mainly for the fish tanks but I worry about all my animals when the power and heat goes out.

My best wishes for all of you in the affected area. Here in the PNW we are expecting pretty high winds and lots of rain. I don't mind the rain but I just hate high winds. They can do so much damage.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I'm going to put veggies for piggies in a cooler during the storm. We tend to lose power a lot in the mountains during the big storms. Guinea pigs don't understand not being able to open up the refrigerator during a power outage. They have forecast 8-10 inches of rain in the next 48 hours for our area.
Oh wow that's right! I've seen where you live, beautiful of course. Best wishes to you and the herd!

Artista

Cavy Slave
My best wishes for all of you in the affected area. Here in the PNW we are expecting pretty high winds and lots of rain. I don't mind the rain but I just hate high winds. They can do so much damage.
Yeah it's the winds that causes the most damage. I don't live in an area that's due to get hit hard but I feel for those who do.

Guardian Starka

Cavy Slave
We've batten down the hatches, cleaned gutters, filled up sandbags, and cleared out the drains. Flood, wind, and blizzard warnings have been issued for the north state. Blizzard warning is for further north then where I'm at. Even a couple of schools stated that they will be closed tomorrow due to the flood warning.
The storm is supposed to hit us around 2:30 and it is just starting to get windy. Thanks for the luck!

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I don't think we will need sandbags where I am, but I know other people in my area will need them. My backyard has been flooding though, even without too much rain. I stocked up on veggies today before it starts storming. It's supposed to hit in the morning sometime. I'm making sure all the pigs are protected inside. I have my boar in the garage most of the time (we don't have room in there for our car, no no fume worries) and I bring them in at night and stuff. Peanut gets too excited when he hears the girls, so we have to put him there (in the garage) or close the door where the girls are to keep him from freaking out. They will stay inside tonight, the next few days, and probably the rest of the winter depending on the weather.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
OK like what the heck is up with Cali and the rain like seriously!? Last week our power got knocked out from the rain and I'm in Southern California

Guardian Starka

Cavy Slave
Ya, this storm doesn't seem too bad to me, but we have about 3000 homes without power and because of the drought and fires these past years it has made things far worse. Bone dry dirt with no vegetation and lots of water and wind makes a great combo for floods and mudslides and that can knock out power and flood houses and roads.
Kinda wish the power would go out here, so I can go home and snuggle with everyone. ;)

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Its supposed to hit Southern California tomorrow

Guardian Starka

Cavy Slave
Its supposed to hit Southern California tomorrow

Strange that this storm is going a little backwards. This storm is coming from Hawaii and I would think it would have hit down south first then us, but now when I look at the clouds they are heading south.
I just stay away from low lying areas that are near rivers, creeks, canals, and areas prone to flooding. In a town just south of us a few streets flooded because they didn't clean the street drains and the drains couldn't keep up with all the water. They had evacuation centers set up because it flooded the bottom level apartments and town houses in that area.
I do have to say that we sorely need this rain, Shasta Lake rose 5 feet in the last couple of storms and I can only hope for more, I just don't want it all at once like this storm did.
Good Luck! Hopefully the storm has lost most of its luster by the time it gets to you.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Oh man. I'm glad I live on the second floor but I'm going to ask if I can bring my piggies to my friends house because I don't want them getting scared especially because I have a baby. Man what is up with Cali tho lol

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Because her mom watches me

Artista

Cavy Slave
S. CA isn't going to be bad but good that they'll get some rain to clean up the air. My bro is happy and will have his windows open to smell fresh air! lol

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
We got about 5 inches of rain today. We didn't lose power but lots of people in the area did.
My dog is about to report me for animal cruelty though because I had to take him out in the rain to do his business. The guinea pigs are just laughing because they can do their business anywhere they like.

Artista

Cavy Slave
We got about 5 inches of rain today. We didn't lose power but lots of people in the area did.
My dog is about to report me for animal cruelty though because I had to take him out in the rain to do his business. The guinea pigs are just laughing because they can do their business anywhere they like.
How funny! Pretty amazing that you didn't get more rain or mud slides and power outtages over there. I feel bad for the folks at SFO airport who are stuck. The food workers there are on strike so they've been telling people you need to be aware and bring your food! wow...

Artista

Cavy Slave
Also... there is a trooper of a solicitor going door to door with his clipboard. Guess he figures people will open their doors to someone standing there getting soaked.

I got a package delivered today by a very soaking wet postman. I thought about giving him a thank you tip as I felt so sorry for him.

A Safeway roof has collapsed in San Jose.... and it hasn't stopped pouring for one second all day. Brings back memories of living in Seattle for 13 years....

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
We got some real bad mudslides here a few years back. 8 houses slid away a few blocks away. Lots of people with power outages, big boulders (bigger than cars) on the main road out, but one lane was open. I stayed home and watched the rain.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Sounds like me lol. Staying home and watching rain

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Southern California just got a sever storm warning

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.