Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Loads of fruit flies

Rockzilla77

Cavy Slave
Hello so there?s a lot of fruit flies in my room where the guinea pigs are and I was wondering if it?s any danger to them? Also how do I get rid of them? We are getting a brand new cage in a couple days so I?ll throw out the old one but I really wanna get rid of the flies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You have to keep the cage scrupulously clean, with any food, especially fruit and/or veggies, cleaned up immediately. You also have to figure out where else they are, like in the the drains, pantry, etc.

I had an infestation of flies of undetermined species. Didn't seem to be fruit flies, because they weren't attracted to sweet stuff. Weren't pantry moths or drain flies. I finally had to buy a bug zapper and put over the cage to get rid of them.

Rockzilla77

Cavy Slave
You have to keep the cage scrupulously clean, with any food, especially fruit and/or veggies, cleaned up immediately. You also have to figure out where else they are, like in the the drains, pantry, etc.

I had an infestation of flies of undetermined species. Didn't seem to be fruit flies, because they weren't attracted to sweet stuff. Weren't pantry moths or drain flies. I finally had to buy a bug zapper and put over the cage to get rid of them.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
Another good way to get rid of fruit flies is put a piece of banana in a jar and then attach plastic wrap to the opening of the jar with a rubber band. Then stab the plastic wrap a few times with a fork. The flies will go in to eat the fruit but won?t be able to get out. This will only work if they are indeed fruit flies.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've had fruit flies come in on bananas. As @SquigglyPigs said, a jar with plastic wrap over the lid and a few holes punched in it will work fine. Instead of a banana, I've used apple cider vinegar and it works really well. Within just a day or so the fruit flies were in the jar instead of flying around the room. It's not he most attractive thing to have in the room but it works.

Presently using the apple cider vinegar method as well. Every now and again they come around. I have a bug zapper as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.