Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rumblestrutting Older pig will not stop mounting younger pig?

PiggieLover101

Cavy Slave
Hello! At the end of last December, we adopted another young pig to keep our older one company due to the loss of her friend. Our older one, Nibbles, is around 3 and a half years old, while our younger, Charlotte, is about 6-7 months old. Introductions went great and they have been living together in a Midwest cage since then, so for around 4 months. But recently, Nibbles has been non-stop rumblestrutting, chasing, and mounting Charlotte at all times of the day for a little over a week. We?ve had to put the divider that came with the Midwest cage in a couple times because sometimes Charlotte would be so stressed out and upset from this that we thought they needed a couple of hours to cool off. After we take the divider out, though, it usually continues after a couple of hours of calm. Is there any way to stop Nibbles from constantly mounting Charlotte? I have read that it could be due to dominance, but I assumed that it would have been like this from the beginning, and it has only started a week and a half ago.

Oreo and Peanut

Cavy Slave
Your guinea pig may just be hitting puberty and so the other guinea pig didn't feel threatened until now. Though that does seem like quite a bit of rumble strutting and I've never had a baby guinea pig so I don't know.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Hello! At the end of last December, we adopted another young pig to keep our older one company due to the loss of her friend. Our older one, Nibbles, is around 3 and a half years old, while our younger, Charlotte, is about 6-7 months old. Introductions went great and they have been living together in a Midwest cage since then, so for around 4 months. But recently, Nibbles has been non-stop rumblestrutting, chasing, and mounting Charlotte at all times of the day for a little over a week. We?ve had to put the divider that came with the Midwest cage in a couple times because sometimes Charlotte would be so stressed out and upset from this that we thought they needed a couple of hours to cool off. After we take the divider out, though, it usually continues after a couple of hours of calm. Is there any way to stop Nibbles from constantly mounting Charlotte? I have read that it could be due to dominance, but I assumed that it would have been like this from the beginning, and it has only started a week and a half ago.

Hello congratulations on the adoption of Charlotte and sorry for the loss of your other piggy. Just to check both are girls? Rumblestrutting and chasing is normal as long as there is no blood drawn oand no one is losing weight then they are fine to keep together. What type of hideys do you have in the cage? I think the biggest thing is the size, one Midwest is too small for two piggies. Are you able to purchase another Midwest and combine them together? Or attach a grid play pen to the cage to increase space?

I know the one seems big but it is smaller then the recommend size for two pigs. Plus, some piggies just need more space to get along. I have two girls in a 2x6 cxc because otherwise they would get in each other’s way too much lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Oreo and Peanut, please READ the posts before responding. This pig is 3.5 years old, a little old to "just be hitting puberty."

@PiggieLover101, that's a prime age for sows to develop ovarian cysts, which can cause that kind of hormonal behavior. I'd want a good vet to do an ultrasound and see what's going on.

PiggieLover101

Cavy Slave
@Oreo and Peanut, please READ the posts before responding. This pig is 3.5 years old, a little old to "just be hitting puberty."

@PiggieLover101, that's a prime age for sows to develop ovarian cysts, which can cause that kind of hormonal behavior. I'd want a good vet to do an ultrasound and see what's going on.

I hope that’s not what’s going on with her! What would the vet be able to do for the cysts if she were to have them, though?

PiggieLover101

Cavy Slave
Hello congratulations on the adoption of Charlotte and sorry for the loss of your other piggy. Just to check both are girls? Rumblestrutting and chasing is normal as long as there is no blood drawn oand no one is losing weight then they are fine to keep together. What type of hideys do you have in the cage? I think the biggest thing is the size, one Midwest is too small for two piggies. Are you able to purchase another Midwest and combine them together? Or attach a grid play pen to the cage to increase space?

I know the one seems big but it is smaller then the recommend size for two pigs. Plus, some piggies just need more space to get along. I have two girls in a 2x6 cxc because otherwise they would get in each other’s way too much lol

Yes, I checked my newer pig just to make sure before we did introductions. She’s definitely a girl. Thankfully, no bloodshed occurs and no weight-loss. It just seems to bother Charlotte so much I feel so bad for her :(

As much as I have been wanting to give them more room, there is nowhere in my house that has enough room to build a C&C cage. I have explored many options but no size of a c&c cage can fit anywhere.. We built a sturdy shelf to hold the Midwest Cage just so we would have enough room for that. The thing is, even when we have them out for floortime in a huge playpen, it will still happen anyway.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ovarian cysts can be treated by surgery or hormone treatments. Only surgery will "cure" the problem. Hormone treatments may last a few weeks or a few months, but the cysts will eventually return.

Oreo and Peanut

Cavy Slave

Sorry post was less in depth when I read sorry for the mistake

Oreo and Peanut

Cavy Slave
Your guinea pig may just be hitting puberty and so the other guinea pig didn't feel threatened until now. Though that does seem like quite a bit of rumble strutting and I've never had a baby guinea pig so I don't know.

Miss information don't read

PiggieLover101

Cavy Slave
Update: It has been 2 more weeks since I posted this, and the problem hasn't went away. I have asked my parents about taking her to the vet, but they refuse even though they know there's a huge problem. They thought it would resolve itself, but it hasn't. Some days are better than others, but the last couple of days has been so bad that we have had to keep them separated. I hate it, since it doesn't give them much room at all, but so far it's been necessary. Nibbles will not leave Charlotte alone, no matter what we do. I'm turning 18 in a month so maybe I can take her to the vet since I can drive. It's just that my parents want to exhaust all other options before needing to take her to the vet. Is there anything else I can try?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, she needs to see a vet. And if she has ovarian cysts and one ruptures, she can die a painful death.

PiggieLover101

Cavy Slave
No, she needs to see a vet. And if she has ovarian cysts and one ruptures, she can die a painful death.
I'm planning on taking her soon. But, does it mean anything if, when they are separated, she doesn't rumble at all and she acts normal? Because I would think if that's the problem, wouldn't she be rumble-strutting constantly and not just when she can access Charlotte?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.