Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Questions I Can Never Find the Answer To

Darth Loki

Cavy Slave
Hello. This Sunday is the big day for Ringo and Toad. I can't believe it's already here. I'm as prepared as anyone can be. Researched, bookmarked pages on my phone, the works. However, there is 3 questions I can't seem to find the answers to.

My 1st question: When setting up the neutral zone, which piggie do I put in first? The year old Ringo or the 4 month old Toad? My mom will be home helping monitor them while I clean the cages (if all goes well of course) but has refused to pick either up. She's just not the animal type. I can't remember the last time I saw her hold an animal. So I will have to place one in at a time and would like to know which one goes first.

My 2nd question is: If all goes well and I'm able to place them in their newly clean and expanded cage, how long before I do floor time with them? Do I wait a week? Do it the next day? Or is there another option I don't know?

My last question is: Toad is 4-4 1/2 months old and is still on young cavy food, until six months when I transition him over to adult cavy. If, again, all things go well do I still put the young cavy food in with the two boars? Or just transition him right over to the adult food?

All these questions seem to be no brainers but I just can't figure them out. I'm being super cautious this time around and don't want to mess up in any way. Help would be appreciated and I would be grateful.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
1) Both at the same time, but it really doesn't matter.

2) I'd wait several days.

3) Put him on adult food, and take him out once a day for a sprig or two of parsley. Or, if you've got alfalfa hay laying around, put him in a laundry basket and let him eat a little.

Darth Loki

Cavy Slave
When they are in their new cage I was going to make temporary sleeping places for them. By taking a cardboard box and cutting it to look like a step stool then flip it upside down. I was going to cover it with fleece and I have a few small cuddle cup-esque beds I was going to place on them. I'm going to make sure that there are exists on all four sides.

To add on with another question: Are there any other suggestions on what to place in there for them? Also when I do the neutral floor meet and greet do I add pellets? Or keep it hay and veggies? And keep it a big open space no run throughs or any kind of those things?

I've been preparing for a month and don't want to miss anything.

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
Just hay and veggies. I put a large pile of hay in the center and scattered lettuce leaves around the area when I did intros this past weekend. Make sure you have water bottles for them to drink from.
No places to hide, just a wide open area.

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html?page=1
This link has a detailed description of pretty much everything about guinea pig introductions, so it could answer any other potential questions you have. It includes information on the different types of behaviours that may happen.

Darth Loki

Cavy Slave
@bpatters - Thank you for the advice. I'll be doing that. Since I'm introducing in a hallway, I'll place one on each end and have them find each other.
[MENTION=36380]PudgePig[/MENTION] - I bought new water bottles for this. And am buying extra veggies this Thursday. I do hope everything went well with your piggie introductions.
[MENTION=34247]Piggly12[/MENTION] - I just recently found that livejournal page and booked marked it. It is one of the best out there. Thanks.

I'll update after Sunday. Also thanks again. Still nervous but also a little excited to see the boys interact. I want them to be happy.

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
Good luck on the intro! Another possible answer to question (broken link removed) , I’ve done 3 intros as the only human in my home, and this is my trick to put them in the neutral space near the same time: I take one pig and put him in a big box with a hidey next to the neutral space. Whichever pig I chose always just runs for the hidey. I get the second pig and put him in the neutral space, then immediately scoop up the first pig from the box and put him in the neutral space.

On floor time, definitely wait a few days, maybe more. With my new pair, they had floor time after a week and it was intense because they were reestablishing themselves in the new shared space. But they had a rough two weeks (from the human perspective) before they settled down. Now, two months later, they are very well behaved during floor time, even have snuggled naps. Every pair is different though. My first pair calmed down within two days of their re-intro.

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
@PudgePig - I bought new water bottles for this. And am buying extra veggies this Thursday. I do hope everything went well with your piggie introductions.
The first two days were rough, but they seem to be getting along better now. :) We introduced on Saturday and it's now Wednesday.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.