Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

When will my guinea pig give birth

Nora@08

Cavy Gazer
Hi all so great that this page is available. I am wondering if anyone could help me, my piggies is definitely pregnant I got her(Macfee) on the 8th December 2017 and introduced her to her new male friend. He was a bit uneasy in the beginning but got use to her. I noticed about two weeks ago that Macfee was hungry all the time she kept nagging for food I then notice two bumps in her belly and could feel the baby?s moving and kicking. She should be giving birth soon right if she has been in the cage with her mate for over two months? She is still very active but I noticed she gets excited for the did then when done eating she lies down very still and looks like she?s out of breath she lies on her side with her legs stretch stretch out I keep thinking she going into Labour as she makes hiccuping movements and read this is one of the signs. Could she still be eating a lot if she is about to give birth ? I removed the make from her cage as he seems very aggressive and think he wants to try and mate but she fights him and actually looks like she is biting him. I hope having sleepless night as I want to be be there for her when she delivers. Can anyone tell me if she?s close to giving birth? My previous piggies gave me no signs she was still very loving and affectionate but Macfee seems to get irritated when I want to touch her. Please help 😊

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I will give you this reference, but this is a pro-adoption, anti-purchase, anti-breeding forum. You may not ask questions about breeding, or post pictures of pups that are deliberately bred.

Guinea pigs are susceptible to several genetic diseases, one of which causes severe deformities including deafness and blindness, and another that causes lifelong pain. Persons without extensive knowledge of genetics and breeding should never breed guinea pigs. In fact, there is no need for any one to ever deliberately breed another guinea pig -- there are enough accidental pregnancies to keep the species going without deliberate breeding.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she

Nora@08

Cavy Gazer
I will give you this reference, but this is a pro-adoption, anti-purchase, anti-breeding forum. You may not ask questions about breeding, or post pictures of pups that are deliberately bred.

Guinea pigs are susceptible to several genetic diseases, one of which causes severe deformities including deafness and blindness, and another that causes lifelong pain. Persons without extensive knowledge of genetics and breeding should never breed guinea pigs. In fact, there is no need for any one to ever deliberately breed another guinea pig -- there are enough accidental pregnancies to keep the species going without deliberate breeding.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she

I am very confused I see many people posting about their piggies being pregnant I didnt get my piggies to start a breeding farm I got two as mates its natural for them to mate isn’t I guess I am on the wrong page I dont I understand why I receive such a comment when others actually get valuable feedback. I have had piggies before and was just asking the question as her behavior seem different to my previous one.

lissie

Cavy Slave
We do not recommend putting males and females together. You should have gotten same gender pair.

Please separate your pigs immediately. Females can get pregnant again right after giving birth. It is very hard on them for back-to-back pregnancy.

If you would like to keep the male with your female, consider having him neutered.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We never recommend putting opposite sex pairs together unless one is neutered. The pregnancies you see discussed on here are because the pig was pregnant when the owner acquired them, or the pigs were mis-sexed. You may think the behavior is "natural," and it is, but there are bad consequences to "natural" behavior. Unless you're financially/emotionally/practically prepared to care for lethal white pups, or pigs with osteodystrophy, or the deal with the death of the sow and pups, you definitely should not be breeding.

Ditto @lissie on removing the male now, before she gives birth. The sow will be in heat as soon as the pups are born. Back-to-back litters are extremely hard on the sow and the second litter of pups.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.