Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Lets Talk Hay

JenNPiggys

Cavy Slave
I have 1 GP, he is eating Timothy Hay. GP #2 will be here in 2 weeks. I have been looking at hay options and prices. I am seeing a few different types of hay; Timothy, Meadow, Timothy Plus, Organic Meadow, Western Timothy, Orchard Grass, Oat Hay ,Botanical Hay, Alfalfa Hay.... It just goes on and on AND it's a little confusing! :confused: Can someone clear this all up for this newbie? Please!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need a long strand grass hay for your pigs, to keep their teeth ground down and their guts moving normally. Long strand grass hays include timothy, brome, orchard, meadow and blue. Organic or not is up to you -- the nutritional value of the hay is the same, and hay isn't grown with a terrific amount of pesticides.

Alfalfa is a legume, like peas, and shouldn't be the only hay fed to pigs. It's suitable for supplementing the diet of pregnant/nursing sows and pups because it has a fairly high calcium content, but should accompany grass hay.

If you can find a local farmer who grows grass hay, that's the cheapest way to get the hay. You can buy a bale for what you'd pay for less than 10 pounds in a pet store. The middle-priced way is to order in bulk, either online or through a store that will order a big (40-50 pound) box for you. By far the most expensive way to buy it is in the bags at the pet store. You'll also get a much poorer quality of hay that way.

JenNPiggys

Cavy Slave
OK the only thing that seems to be local here by the bale is Coastal Bermuda. Can I use that???

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Coastal bermuda. Ugh. It is a grass hay, but...

It's all I have locally, too, and what's here is incredibly poor quality. So I order mine online from KMS Hayloft or Small Pet Select. SPS might be a reasonable cost for you, also Sweet Meadow Farm. Or you can order Oxbow through a pet store or feed store. Or what you have may be ok. It should be green, dry, and not too stalky. It's probably worth looking at.

The other thing you might do is call a horse farm and see what they feed their horses. With some exceptions, guinea pigs can eat the same hay horses do. And if what they have would do for your guinea pigs, they might sell it by the flake or the bale.

JenNPiggys

Cavy Slave
There isn't much here and I just may have to order online. I am moving west in June and they have a ton of feed stores AND bales of Timothy for less than $30! So, I just have to make it until then!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
@bpatters what about oat hay? I'm allergic to timothy hay and so far Ferb rejects orchard hay, so I've thought about trying oat hay instead. For now I'm giving Ferb unlimited timothy even though my sinuses are in an all out protest (even with zyrtec) and I have to wash any skin it touches or I get an itchy rash.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I believe oat hay is higher in calcium, so if I were you, I'd try one of the others first -- meadow, blue or brome.

Another possibility, if you have someone else around who will do it, is to have some fill brown paper lunch bags with hay, and you just pick up the bags and drop them in the cage rather than handling the hay. We've had several people have success with that.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Ah, didn't know about the calcium. I'll try some of the other hays. The paper bags are a good idea!

Cavilicious

Cavy Slave
You need a long strand grass hay for your pigs, to keep their teeth ground down and their guts moving normally. Long strand grass hays include timothy, brome, orchard, meadow and blue. Organic or not is up to you -- the nutritional value of the hay is the same, and hay isn't grown with a terrific amount of pesticides.

Alfalfa is a legume, like peas, and shouldn't be the only hay fed to pigs. It's suitable for supplementing the diet of pregnant/nursing sows and pups because it has a fairly high calcium content, but should accompany grass hay.

If you can find a local farmer who grows grass hay, that's the cheapest way to get the hay. You can buy a bale for what you'd pay for less than 10 pounds in a pet store. The middle-priced way is to order in bulk, either online or through a store that will order a big (40-50 pound) box for you. By far the most expensive way to buy it is in the bags at the pet store. You'll also get a much poorer quality of hay that way.

But if you order a lot of hay, will it go bad? Or does hay not go bad? This is my first time owning guinea pigs.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
Personally I use bluegrass from KMS Hayloft, because hubby is soooo allergic to Timothy. It works great for our pigs! Smells wonderful, they adore it.
We buy 45 pounds at a time and the longest we've kept hay was 6 months and they finished the box! As long as you keep it in a dry, well ventilated container you shouldn't have a problem!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.