Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Probiotic during or after antibiotics?

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
Bernie started his doxycycline tonight for what could be a URI. I picked up some BeneBac for him. Is that a decent probiotic or is there something much better I could get for him? Also, one of my friends told me that you don't want to give probiotics while administering antibiotics; that you should wait until the treatment is through. That's incorrect, isn't it? I thought you gave it at the same time. I really appreciate how helpful everyone is. I still have a lot to learn!

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I don't have much experience with pigs on antibiotics, but I've gone through many difficult antibiotic treatments myself with a very sensitive stomach.
I'd want to protect & strengthen the gut flora before it's wiped out. It's harder to restore it after it's been disturbed, perhaps give it both a few hours before & after?

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
Bernie has been on his doxycycline for his URI for a week now. He has 3 days left and I'm just not sure if he's improving as much as he should be...his nose still sounds stuffy when he breathes and when he does sneeze (I THINK he is sneezing a bit less) mucus comes out. His weight has not changed, his appetite is fine and he does seem to have a bit more energy. This is my first time treating so I'm just not sure how to tell when an antibiotic is working well. Any advice??

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.