Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nico's markings/coloring and new blanket!

Tablo

Cavy Slave
A lot of people have been asking about his orange, so I got a picture of it today:
markings.jpg It's also on his paws too, but he's a squirmy little guy.

I also got him a blanket cuddly thing from Drs Foster & Smith. It's a ferret blanket, and he only really nibbled on it. I put him in it and he started purring and making lots of happy sounds.

blanket.jpg Excuse my leg.

I was trying to get his piggy lips...

The blanket is 18x18 inches, and it cost me 8 bucks, plus shipping. It's super soft but it's not flimsy like a lot of blankets. I love it. :)

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
Awww, Nico is so cute!

Tablo

Cavy Slave
He's cute, but he's stubborn!

He WILL NOT let me cut his nails :(

I've tried filing, bath times, small pet scissors, two pairs of hands, ect... He refuses to let me! I don't wanna hurt him, but they are DESPERATELY in need of a trim!

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
He's cute, but he's stubborn!

He WILL NOT let me cut his nails :(

I've tried filing, bath times, small pet scissors, two pairs of hands, ect... He refuses to let me! I don't wanna hurt him, but they are DESPERATELY in need of a trim!

Sorry I'm not much help with that, try having 6 piggies nails to cut when it comes to nail trimming day.... I'm sort of new to having a long haired guinea pig Maisy, my Merino breed. She squealed and shrieked, when I found a knot in her fur,that I was very gently trying to cut out. It was not an experience I would want again, from now on I think I will brush her fur every day rather than once or twice a week, and I'm switching to fleece bedding so she is less likely to get knots in her fur. She peed and pooped lots to.
All I can say, is perhaps have some veggies on hand like a carrot, and put that to his mouth to eat. It might distract him, at least for a little while.

Tablo

Cavy Slave
I've tried that too, lol

No luck.

I just switched to fleece bedding yesterday and I never knew how much they pooped... I mean... wow.

AilsaStockwell

Cavy Slave
I switched to fleece two days ago, I was unsure, as I've always used sawdust and was happy with it, except when they run around and kick it onto the carpet! So i'm still trying to find my feet with it... I have 2 layers of towels and then the fleece, and I put litter trays in with sawdust and hay in for them to hopefully snuggle in and settle into peeing into them... so far so good, either the fleece is soaking it away completely or they're using the trays.... am I doing it right? I'm picking up their poo every morning and evening (I agree... I never realised the amount!) and I think I've seen most people say to wash everything once a week?

I've been pretty lucky with my own guinea pigs, but when I helped out on a farm park they had a rabbit barn, and we had to trim all their claws, and they said it's better to be firm (not "rough" as such, but grip their legs properly), which I felt like I might hurt them doing, but it means they can't squirm - one way is to lie them sideways on your lap so you can lean right over them, and put one arm along their side/over their back, so their body can't move, then have someone else concentrate on the foot! I know you've probably tried this... but if all else fails take them to the vet, our veterinary nurses can do it, so it only costs £15 for 2 guinea pigs!!

Tablo

Cavy Slave
I took him to the vet, last time, to have them trimmed and it cost about $10, no big deal.

But I'd like to be able to do them on my own. He let me cut a small chunk off of one of his nails just now and then the VERY tips off of two more, as well. He was very unamused. I wrapped him in his blanket, propped him up on his back, and when to work and he was squealing the whole time, but not from pain :p

AilsaStockwell

Cavy Slave
Yh, it is a lot easier, I get a bit worried when I do mine to be honest, I nipped the tip of one of their toes one time as he has a black foot, so you can't see properly, I felt awful!!! he didn't seem too bothered really, so I don't think it hurt much, but it bled and bled! I felt like the worst owner in the world! I've not plucked up the courage to do them since, they've needed them done once and I went to the vets!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.