Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Should I start feeding my guinea pigs veggies?

Grassbin

Cavy Gazer
I currently feed my guinea pigs Kaytee Timothy Complete Plus along with hay of the same brand.
https://goo.gl/images/M17AAg
The food is comprised of a small amount of dried up pieces of fruits and vegetables (about index finger size) and pellets. The bag is mostly filled with the pellets.

- Is it healthy for them to only eat Timothy Complete Plus?
- Should I start feeding them fresh fruits and veggies instead? If so, how much?
- Should I still include pellets in their diet?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The Kaytee food is garbage.

We only recommend food that are made with alfalfa for young pigs, and timothy for older pigs, brand names being Oxbow or Small Pet Select.

How old are your pigs? You can feed them veggies at any time, really. Just limit their intake of high calcium veggies, or gas-inducing veggies like kale. 1 cup of fresh veggies per pig a day is a good amount. Green leaf lettuce is safe to give on a daily basis, but try to stay away from fruits except as a very occasional treat. Pigs aren't built to process sugar.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, Small Pet Select pellets are pretty high in calcium. The only ones I recommend are KMS Hayloft and Oxbow.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, Small Pet Select pellets are pretty high in calcium. The only ones I recommend are KMS Hayloft and Oxbow.

I couldn't remember which one it was, thank you. I'll have to put that in the mental rolodex :)

Grassbin

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for the advice, definitely going to pick up some Oxbow later today. My guinea pigs are around 9 or 10 months. Does their diet absolutely need veggies, or can they simply eat the Oxbow on its own?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They need Vitamin C. High quality timothy hay is the most important staple of their diet, along with obviously fresh water. High quality pellets have stabilized vitamin c, but sometimes this may not be enough. A good chunk of bell pepper every day can ensure that they get enough vitamin c.

Veggies are optional, but they REALLY like them. Make sure to consult a list of safe veggies for piggies, and a frequency that they can be fed.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice, definitely going to pick up some Oxbow later today. My guinea pigs are around 9 or 10 months. Does their diet absolutely need veggies, or can they simply eat the Oxbow on its own?

Good quality hay is 100% necessary and pigs should have unlimited access to it. Veggies come in a close second and are necessary, yes. Pellet food is the very least necessary and can be eliminated altogether as long as the pigs are getting a good quality diet.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Veggies are optional, but they REALLY like them. Make sure to consult a list of safe veggies for piggies, and a frequency that they can be fed.

Veggies are not optional. They are a good source of vitamins and other nutrients. They also provide moisture that pigs need from food that they won't get from hay or just drinking water.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.