Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Cool Overheating

recklessdoll

Cavy Slave
I live in a state that's usually at a cold/neutral temperature and my home doesn't have air conditioning. We are having an unusually hot summer and even late at night it's really hot in the house, I'm worried about my piggies over heating (especially the one with long hair) any tips on how to keep them cool?

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
I highly recommend getting some water bottles (or filling up empty ones with water) and freezing them. Once they are frozen: wrap them in a bit of fleece and then place them where you see your piggies laying regularly (make sure they can move away from it if they need to!). I have 8 frozen right now so that when the one in the cage defrosts completely I can replace it with a frozen solid one! It works like a charm! My pigs lean against them and nap against them regularly when it gets particularly toasty in our apartment.

recklessdoll

Cavy Slave
I highly recommend getting some water bottles (or filling up empty ones with water) and freezing them. Once they are frozen: wrap them in a bit of fleece and then place them where you see your piggies laying regularly (make sure they can move away from it if they need to!). I have 8 frozen right now so that when the one in the cage defrosts completely I can replace it with a frozen solid one! It works like a charm! My pigs lean against them and nap against them regularly when it gets particularly toasty in our apartment.
Wow I didn't even think of that. I'm definitely going to do that now. Thanks!

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
Wow I didn't even think of that. I'm definitely going to do that now. Thanks!
[MENTION=35414]recklessdoll[/MENTION] I used to do it for my hamsters when I was super little! (obviously I used tiny little bottles haha)
It seriously works great! I have a boy and a girl so they are in separate cages and my female is expecting a litter soon (pregnant due to mis-sexing of her brother) so I have 2 for each of them and 2 for each of the baby cages if I have to separate any boys and girls :) My only warning is to let air into the bottle after it has defrosted before putting it back in the freezer! One of my bottle exploded because of the pressure build up when it refroze :p

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Just get a regular fan & put it in the pigs room (but not aimed directly at the cages).
I usually use clippers & shave my peruvian from the neck down during the summer months, giving her an adorable little lion mane. ;) Highly recommend it.

recklessdoll

Cavy Slave
@HannibalLecter I thought about that because I actually work in a dog grooming salon but I wasn't sure if they could be shaved. I think he would be much more comfortable.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
@HannibalLecter I thought about that because I actually work in a dog grooming salon but I wasn't sure if they could be shaved. I think he would be much more comfortable.

My girl hates being groomed, but good clippers pull much less than a long session with scissors & the result lasts much longer than a simple bum cut.
I notice she's much less sensitive with being touched by other pigs when she's got short hair as well.

recklessdoll

Cavy Slave
deb0336856a03e9e0461c6999019de10.jpg

Spunky got a little trim he seems much more comfortable and he actually loved the water. Skin wasn't as sensitive after either.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.