Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables No peppers.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
The hypothesis is that some pigs metabolize romaine lettuce differently. It's not a coincidence as many members have tested it quite thoroughly by removing all veggies, and then re-introduced them one by one, more than once, to find the culprit of the sludge - Romaine was the cause in many cases. Some also have issues with cilantro. But as we can't do any actual scientific research we can't be certain why -or if- that's the case.

I would also avoid feeding red bell peppers daily as they are high in sugars.

I was one who did this actually. I switched to a pelletless diet, keeping the Romaine. After two weeks, they still had extreme amounts of gritty calcium deposits. I then removed the Romaine, and switched to red leaf and after the first week, there were no more deposits. I have now (two months later) put them back on the same Oxbow pellets, and am again not noticing the gritty deposits.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Interesting. I wonder if it would come back if you added back in the Romaine. Then you would know for sure if it was just that particular batch of pellets or the romaine your pigs have a problem with.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Well there you have it, the Guinea Lynx chart is wrong at least when it comes to peppers.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Traysea, you need to re-read the charts here and at GL. They're based on different amounts of the vegetable, and you can't just compare the two numbers.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Ok, yes I see it now. The guinea lynx chart is based on a 10 calorie amount instead of a per gram amount where as both the USDA and the chart on here is based on an equal measurement amount 100g (1 cup) amount. Quite frankly that is a really unclear and frustrating way to present the chart.

@Traysea , you need to re-read the charts here and at GL. They're based on different amounts of the vegetable, and you can't just compare the two numbers.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I find the 1 cup amount a lot easier than using 10 calories. You don't measure how many calories your guinea pig is consuming. You measure their veggies by cups. And often times people just give them a cup(or a leaf or 2) of lettuce, a couple 1/2"-1" slices of bell pepper, a baby carrot, a grape tomato(or a slice of tomato), a spring or two of parsley or clinatro and call it good. Sometimes a small slice of fruit or a bit of another veggie is given.(all per pig BTW)

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't recommend romaine lettuce. Some pigs do fine with it, but others excrete excess calcium. I think you can decrease the risk of kidney stones by feeding red or green leaf lettuces rather than romaine. And lettuces aren't generally running over with vitamin C.

Corn is far too sweet to be fed on a regular basis, although the husks and silks can be fed for roughage.

I'd be very surprised if you can't teach your pig to eat peppers by dicing them VERY finely (think of a pencil eraser in 10-12 pieces) and sprinkling them on his pellets. Do this for several days, then offer him a larger piece. He'll get enough by accident to get accustomed to the taste, and then you can feed in larger pieces. I taught my pigs to eat eight or ten vegetables this way.

Thank you for your response. He has actually been on a kale diet his entire 3 1/2 years of life. I know that's not good now some I'm trying to make some diet changes. Yet, it has made him to the point where he only likes lettuce like foods.

To @HannibalLecter @MrWhistles and @mufasa :

He actually has tried it. Yet, after a few bites or a VERY small serving, he's done with it for a week or more. Yet, thank you all for your suggestions. :) I have tried to make it into very small pieces.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
Hey guys! So I was still wondering what my alternative could be? I know nothing is probably as good as peppers, yet I really need a second plan. Any thoughts? I have no idea what to feed him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.