Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Joy Used to not be fond of PEW rodents in general

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
Now that i own one, i must say thats changed. Looks scary at first, but once you get to know em as gentle as can be. Shes a real nice timid pig quiet unlike her sister. Gave me a new outlook on PEW pigs.:love:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, they're not rodents. They're caviomorphs.

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
Actually, they're not rodents. They're caviomorphs.

They belong in the rodent order. Have anything to add about PEW's?:eek:hmy:

Denise Mabie

Cavy Slave
What is a PEW pig?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pink-eyed white.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I want a pink eyed guinea pig really bad. Not necessarily PEW, but like a beige or lilac or something. I actually have my eye on one that I may be adopting.

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
I want a pink eyed guinea pig really bad. Not necessarily PEW, but like a beige or lilac or something. I actually have my eye on one that I may be adopting.

gl to you ;)

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I used to have a pink eyed beige named Peanut (my username). Turned out he was a guy so I had to rehome him, but he was by far the friendliest guinea pig I've had. He would sit on his back for belly rubs and it was ridiculously cute. Good luck with the adoption [MENTION=31451]pigmommy89[/MENTION]

kairi26

Cavy Slave
I know everyone has their quirks, and phobias are illogical by nature, but I don't understand the fear of Albinoism/PEWs that is see among a lot of customers at my store.

I have a customer react negatively nearly every shift to either albino reptiles or PEW rats, guinea pigs, or ferrets. I don't want to ask them why they're scared because they're strangers and it's none of my business.

Still, I'd love to have it explained to me why these animals seem to cause a fear or disgust response in so much of the population.

The ramifications make me sad though. It's harder to find homes for PEWs and albinos because people are scared of them. As a person who loves all animals, it bothers me that they're judged just because of their coloring.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
@kairi26 I think people don't like the red eyes because it's different and it makes it almost seem like there is something wrong with the animal. Also, like in children's TV shows and such, the bad guys have red eyes. Kids might think that the red eyed animals are "evil." I know when I was little I thought that, but obviously now I don't.

kairi26

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=35599]kairi26[/MENTION] I think people don't like the red eyes because it's different and it makes it almost seem like there is something wrong with the animal. Also, like in children's TV shows and such, the bad guys have red eyes. Kids might think that the red eyed animals are "evil." I know when I was little I thought that, but obviously now I don't.
You're probably right. Adding that to white fur or skin makes the eyes stand out even more. One of my boys is brown with red eyes and some people I've shown him to think he looks creepy.

My boyfriend and I both think he's the handsomest guinea pig in the world though [emoji132] .

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the well wishes guys. I will probably go through with it. One reason I'm hesitant is that she was surrendered with a male cagemate, so it's very likely that she's pregnant. I haven't had baby guinea pigs in 13 years! Another (stupid) reason I debated about it is that she's crested, and I've never had a crested pig before. I know the crest makes no difference whatsoever, I just really like American guinea pigs. I actually feel terrible for having second thoughts just because of the crest.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
@pigmommy89 if it helps any my Penny is crested and she really likes having her crest rubbed and petted in a circular motion, it's sweet. Also I try and get the sides of her crest to stand up straight sometimes so it looks kind of like Wolverine's hairstyle, lol.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Thanks [MENTION=30078]Rywen[/MENTION] for the support. I don't have a clue why I'm even wary of the crest. I know the level of care isn't different from the Americans because it's basically just an American with a cowlick. I guess I'm just weird :). I had an Abyssinian years ago and I loved her, but I've always been attracted to the American pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.