Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grow Your Own My first garden!

RoseNRiver0523

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Just finished this morning :) This is my first time really trying to make a garden. I've grown veggies here and there on my porch in pots and it worked ok but I figured since we have the piggies now I would go for the real thing. Anyhow, There are 4 tomato plants there on the back left then I have one cherry tomato in the back right with three green bell peppers (piggies will love all those) in the front right I have 2 cilantro plants, bunch of baby cucumber and zucchini plants (sprouted them myself from seed not sure if they'll make it) and in the front left is tons of lettuce!

As I've said I've never done this before so if anyone has any tips feel free to share :)

459192_275871502549179_227594922_o.jpg

The ugly fence is to keep the dogs out...

GuineaLoveer

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Omgosh I love it the fence isent ugly you did a lot better then I would have

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
ITS CUTE! congrats on caring for some veggie babies!!:D

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Way cool!!! I am attempting for the first time to grow veggies from seeds and then plant them in pots and flower boxes on my porch. I don't have very nice neighbors and if I were to plant in the back of the house, they would take everything that comes up. So my porch it is. We'll see. The seeds are growing, just waiting for them to get big enough to transfer to the pots. I'm growing tons of different lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, green peppers, red peppers and tomatoes. Hopefully I'll get something out of all that. Good luck with yours!!!

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
from what i read on cilantro, the taste will change after a few harvests or something to do with the temperature. can't remember at the moment, but it's recommended to plant new seeds in every 3++ days to ensure a fresh daily supply :)

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
(Cherry) Tomato plants can grow like crazy, selectively cutting off branches can keep them in check.

Also get some sticks ready that you can use to guide the plants once they get big and need support to keep standing up.

RoseNRiver0523

Cavy Slave
from what i read on cilantro, the taste will change after a few harvests or something to do with the temperature. can't remember at the moment, but it's recommended to plant new seeds in every 3++ days to ensure a fresh daily supply :)

Oooh! Thank you Ill have to get some more seeds going!

RoseNRiver0523

Cavy Slave
@SardonicSmile I did pick up some tomato cages for when they get bigger and I want to maybe get a small trellis for the cherry tomatoes :)

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
Watch for the cilantro to start to flower out! You want to pinch those off as soon as you see them! If you don't the plant will pretty much putter out after that. Actually, mine all putter out after they start to flower out whether I pinch the flowers off or not. That might be why you need to plant new seeds.

areo298

Cavy Slave
That looks great! :) Im starting to plant my own veggies to grow for my 2 boys. We only have a courtyard type garden with little sun so struggling to find what will be good to grow for them and also what would then be able to grow in our garden.

You could plant some carrot seeds in small trays, apparently carrots would take ages to grow but you get the green tops really quickly

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
We're going to a big flea market this weekend while we're in Texas. This is where I always buy plants for my garden! The poblano pepper plants I bought last year were awesome! I'm hoping to get a lot of stuff the piggies can eat this year!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.