Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece What detergent do you use for the very first time of washing?

loulou

Cavy Slave
I am from then UK and would like to know from other fleece owners in the UK, what detergent is best for washing the fleece for the very first time so it will wick!! And is it true cold water will stay on the top and warm water (like pee) should immediately wick through if prepared right?

Thank you :)

pawner69

Cavy Slave
I am not in the UK but any detergent that is free of dyes and perfumes and contains NO fabric softener is fine. I also use a cup of vinegar every time I wash. Wash and dry at high temps 3-4 times before first use and you should be good to go.

Good luck! I have been using fleece for months and LOVE it! Patience is a virtue with fleece so definatley follow the multiple wash and dry cycles before first use and you won't be disappointed.

loulou

Cavy Slave
Thats great thank you for your advice! I just want to get my piggies in their new home! I have realised patience is a virtue!!!! hehe :)

loulou

Cavy Slave
I have been looking for detergent in the UK that is free from perfume and dye...and it is a struggle! I need to know what other people from the UK are using! Lots of them have fabric softner in them aswell. Can i just use white vinegar?

RoseNRiver0523

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I use Purex free and clear and add some vinegar in. Im in the USA though...can you order it on Amazon maybe? I actually started using it a while ago when my entire family stated having skin reactions to everything else! It is very gentle for piggies and for humans :)

BNCavy91

Cavy Slave
Hello! I am also not in the UK, but I just use Vinegar. I do 2 washes with it, and it works great with no smell and I never have stains left. =D

loulou

Cavy Slave
Hello! I am also not in the UK, but I just use Vinegar. I do 2 washes with it, and it works great with no smell and I never have stains left. =D
Thats great thanks, i am going to sound really dumb now, but what drawer of the washing machine would you put the vinegar? :eek:

BNCavy91

Cavy Slave
Thats great thanks, i am going to sound really dumb now, but what drawer of the washing machine would you put the vinegar? :eek:

I actually just pour it on top of the towels, I dont put it anywhere specific ( Although my washer is super old, so the only drawer I have is for softener)

RoseNRiver0523

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

I throw my vinegar right in with the detergent when I first start running the machine :)

loulou

Cavy Slave
Ah thought so! :) thank you so much!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.