Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Hay and Pellets For Young Pigs

TheBlackSwann

Cavy Slave
Should I feed young Guinea pigs alfalfa hay and pellets or timothy hay and pellets if they are under 6 months? I have heard of people doing both so I don't know which kind to buy. Also, is KMS Hayloft cheaper than oxbow even with the shipping?

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
if they are under 6 months they can have alfalfa hay and pellets or you can do Timothy hay and pellets but supplement the missing calcium with a sprig of parsley every 2 or so days. KMS is slightly cheaper per pound than oxbow by ~$.50 and KMS is slightly better because it doesn't use limestone for the calcium in the pellets

TheBlackSwann

Cavy Slave
@peachyteen, do u think the 50 pound bag of pellets well not get old if I am only feeding two pigs?

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
How old are your guinea pigs now? Since they only need about an 1/8 of a cup per day, 50 lbs will take a really long time to get used up. I would get a smaller bag so they don't go bad.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Alfalfa hay OR alfalfa pellets, not both. It's better if they have timothy hay -- they need a long strand grass hay, and alfalfa isn't a grass hay, it's a legume, like peas.

Or they can have timothy pellets and timothy hay, and another calcium source, like parsley.

FoxOfShadows

Cavy Slave
i wouldnt get more then a 25lb bag for just 2 pigs....with 50lb bag the vit c would degrade and not be useful and youd have to supplement with high vit c veggies. i have a pair of girls and just buy a 10lb bag of TC pellets from KMS and it lasts a reasonable amount of time

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
@peachyteen, do u think the 50 pound bag of pellets well not get old if I am only feeding two pigs?
I got the 10lb bag in October (for 2 piggies 1/8 cup a day each) and we still have 1/3-1/4 of a gallon zip lock bag left

TheBlackSwann

Cavy Slave
i wouldnt get more then a 25lb bag for just 2 pigs....with 50lb bag the vit c would degrade and not be useful and youd have to supplement with high vit c veggies. i have a pair of girls and just buy a 10lb bag of TC pellets from KMS and it lasts a reasonable amount of time

Could I freeze the pellets or would that take the vitamin c out too?

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
Could I freeze the pellets or would that take the vitamin c out too?
freezing them can extend how long it takes for the vit c to degrade, but I'm not sure how much more time it buys you. I wouldnt buy any bigger than a 25lb bag. I think the vit c degrades after about 6 months and it's taken about 5 monhs to go through 8lbs or so between 2 pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.