Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Neutering - Will it help end the stink?

Catalaya

Cavy Slave
Hi guys. Have a question about neutering that I cant seem to find the answer to. I have had Thor since he was 4 weeks old. Thor is now 10 months old and he was the only guinea pig I had up until about a month ago when I decided he needed a brother from another mother. That's when I adopted Batman, he was also 4 weeks old when I got him, he is now 2 months old.

Thor accepted Batman immediately. Thor has proven to be a very good big brother for Batman. But one thing I have noticed that is different is that Thor is making the room STINK all the time. He does the slow strut and bum sway with purring like sounds daily, and I am finding the glue on different spots of the fleece. Even after I have cleaned out the condo, within minutes it will start to stink. From what I have been reading, most ppl say that this smell doesn't last to long and will dissipate as its just him leaving his scent to mark his territory. But it stinks constantly, all the time. This didn't happen before Batman came along. So I am sure that it is from him doing the scent marking. I have done the unpleasant anal sac cleaning and checked his private part and cleaned it when needed. I keep a clean cage, I am in there cleaning the poops twice daily.

My question is, will neutering help reduce this very unpleasant smell? If I get him neutered, will he still always do this and will my room still always stink? I love him to death but now I am pretty concerned about when Batman gets a bit older. If my room smells this bad now, I can only imagine what its going to smell like when they both are marking their spots.

My current cage setup is a C&C 2X5 with a kitchen loft uptop the size of 2X2. I use Fleece with uhaul pads double layered underneath, with a few pee pads in the hot spot areas that are are changed out daily. Entire bedding change out is once a week.

Any help, info and or experience with this situation would be greatly appreciated.

melynda

Cavy Slave
I've noticed a decrease in the boar stank over time now that my two have been together a few months. Maybe I've just gotten used to it? But I find that hard to believe, because it smelled like ass exploded all over my house.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Ferb is neutered and I never smell it and he scent marks everything. Everything, lol.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I've never had a neutered boar but I do have a young stanky boar right now. Rocky will be neutered as soonas he is big enough and I find the right vet to do it. That smell--I sure hope it gets better. Since he has to be alone until after he gets fixed he lives next door to the girls so he's gotta make it smell nice for them lol. And I don't even WANT to know how he got boar glue on his own head.

melynda

Cavy Slave
^you already do know. Lol. Wait til you find it on his mouth. I found some IN Elliott's anal sac once.
Sigh. Boars.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
^you already do know. Lol. Wait til you find it on his mouth. I found some IN Elliott's anal sac once.
Sigh. Boars.

I once had a trio of boars (father and two sons) andboar glue would be all over the place. Rocky is the first solo boar I've had. When I found it in weird places on my others I just assumed it came from one of the other boys. Now I'm not so sure.....

Catalaya

Cavy Slave
Thank you to everyone who replied to my thread. Your info has helped. I did call a few of our local exotic vets, and the pricing is ridiculous. To neuter a male, the cheapest exotic vet that deals with guinea pigs is $437.00 here in Oshawa Ontario (East of Toronto). That price includes IV fluids, sedation, pain medication and monitoring while in hospital. Maybe its expensive all over, but to me this seems kinda high. But I guess they are delicate little creatures lol.

Nefashu

Cavy Slave
I know this is not the same, but for me, in Spain, they charged 150€ fot neutering, medications and 1 extra day for care at the vet. And everything is going very well until now. Next week he will have the stitches removed.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I've never had a neutered boar but I do have a young stanky boar right now. Rocky will be neutered as soonas he is big enough and I find the right vet to do it. That smell--I sure hope it gets better. Since he has to be alone until after he gets fixed he lives next door to the girls so he's gotta make it smell nice for them lol. And I don't even WANT to know how he got boar glue on his own head.

LOL..the first time I saw that and read that they could I died laughing. I told my sons about it and one was grossed out, the other laughed.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Ferb's neuter was $300 USD. That included the same things you listed plus a post op health check follow up visit 1 week later.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Rigatoni's neuter cost $125 about 3 or 4 years ago. He lives with females now but used to live with an unaltered senior male. Neither of the males ever smelled but it could be because they were very compatible and always got along great. I think the smell has to do with marking turf when there's competition or ladies nearby.

Bodhi

Cavy Slave
I don't think I would get a neuter just for the stink. Just keep them clean and as they get older, things might change. You might be able to discourage the behavior somehow.

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I had a male that was just stinky. Finnley was the grossest smelling pig ever!! Would change the cage and there he was stinking it up! Got him a cage mate and he stunk him up too!!! He was younger though. Well under a year and his cage mate was several months younger. I have two older males who are almost 2 and they have never smelled. That doesn't help much does it? Sorry.
I found out local human society does neuters for $40! Beats the vets I went too and charged 200!!! Wish I had found them sooner. Check and see if you have a humane society around and price check. Smaller towns seems to be cheaper too.
P.S. Finnley was rehomed due to his attraction to my girls and found a way out and got her pregnant. He is living a happy stinky life with McKinnley his cage mate in a female free home :)

melynda

Cavy Slave
LOL..the first time I saw that and read that they could I died laughing. I told my sons about it and one was grossed out, the other laughed.

I tried to tell my girlfriend about it.
Me: "So there's something called board glue which is male guinea pig-"
Her: "Don't even. That is repugnant."

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A number of people have found that if they put some pieces of fleece in the cage and let the pigs stank them up, then put one or two of the stinky ones in the clean cage, it helps with the territory marking. Once they've been in the clean cage a day or so, take those pieces of fleece out, and put some others in. In other words, keep something stinky in the cage, and it'll seem more like familiar territory to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.