Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection WHAT HAPPENED?? How to avoid for other GPs??

GPsRuLDaWorlD

Cavy Gazer
Hey Everyone
My lil man Nugget fell sick today he only started showing symptoms today, breathing, not eating or drinking not him self, lethargic, it started about 4pmish its sat here no vets are open. While i was checking him over at 10pm before i tryed to get some sleep he started gasping for air and couldnt breathe he died in my hands. I tried to save him i really did. I was woodering if anyone knows what happened or maybe happened and if my other 2 boys are at risk, and how do i avoid it happening to them? It happened so fast he didnt show any signs yesterday.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: WHAT HAPPENED?? How to aviod for other GPs??

It's possible that Nugget had contracted pneumonia, or it could have been another medical condition. It's nearly impossible to say what happened from just a little information.

We always say here on the forum that illness can take a cavy with frightening speed, and you've unfortunately now seen just how fast. Guinea pigs are prey animals, and will hide their illness or injury as long as they can to prevent themselves from being a target.

My vet used to say, "A month is a LONG time in the life of a guinea pig", and that's so very true. They have very fast metabolisms, so when you or I catch a cold it sometimes takes a couple of days, and to morph into pneumonia can take several more days after that. With a guinea pig, it's HOURS, not days. You always have to be on guard for changes, and even then oftentimes it may not be enough.

Do you weight your pigs regularly? You need to get, if you don't have already, a digital kitchen scale that measures in grams. Weigh them once a week, preferably early in the day. This is quite often the only way you'll catch a problem as it's beginning.

Keep an eye on your remaining pigs for any changes in appetite, lethargy, odd behaviour or anything out of the ordinary. Schedule a wellness check on Monday with their vet if you have any doubts about your other pigs. I truly am sorry if this isn't much help.

I am very sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, little Nugget.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

I'm very sorry you lost him.
[MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION] is right, there's really no way to know what happened to him. It was probably an overwhelming respiratory illness, or something similar.

Just watch your other pigs carefully, and get them to a vet ASAP if you notice any signs of illness at all.

GPsRuLDaWorlD

Cavy Gazer

Thank you yes you have been alot of help. i have scales but no i dont weigh them but i will from now on. Its was harsh i was checking on him and giving some comfort when he started gasping for air. I tryed mouth to mouth chest compressions my partner had to to take him off me i didnt want to give up i hd hop ehe wld pop bck up okay. He died im my hands :( he lost a leg when he was young so im not sure if that had an impact on him getting sick so fast. The other 2 boys are in my room i am keeping a close eye on them and they aree going to the vet on monday thank you. Lil nugget will be missed xx

GPsRuLDaWorlD

Cavy Gazer

I am too. I think i will take Norman and Scruff to the vet on Monday. Thank you xx

GPsRuLDaWorlD

Cavy Gazer

IMG_0910.jpgIMG_0919.jpg

spy9doc

Cavy Slave

Pneumonia is such an insidious thing and can take the life of a cavy in hours. Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge, little Nugget!

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave

I am sorry for your loss of Nugget.

I hope the best for your others, Norman and Scruff.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.