Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Acting spooked/differently

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I'm not overly worried, but wanted some input on this...
Within about the last week my Friar Tuck has been acting more spooky than usual--- he's jumpier, shys more easily, seems a little quieter, and hasn't popcorned as much. He's a male, around a year old, and has always been timid and on the touch-me-not side of things ( doesn't like getting picked up and likes to be pet only on his chin and sometimes nose )
He hasn't lost any weight, everything looks normal ( pee/poop/ fur is shiny/no dandruff/etc), and eats like, well, a piggy ;) He still popcorns just not as much--- he does popcorn if I actively play with him with my hand or wiggle his toys around!
Is he just going from a frisky baby piggy to a lazier grown up pig now that he's turning 1?
He seems to scratch more than my other piggy Robin Hood. I see him paw at his face or scratch somewhere about 5 times a day at the most. He doesn't show any other signs of mites at all, nor does Robin Hood, but i just wanted to put it out there.
Could it be mites?
The only other change in his life is we recently rescued an Indian Ringneck parakeet. He makes a loud sort of "bweeep bweeep!!!" a few times a day. That being said, we also have always had two macaws, and he isn't fazed in the least by their much louder occasional screams. But it's still a very different noise so I'm thinking it's maybe that.
Could that, as a loud and new noise, be the cause?
Sorry to ramble, just want to make sure he's ok! Thanks for any insight!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Thanks!! I knew piggies mellow with age; just wasn't sure about the popcorning side of things. That makes perfect sense for him.
He hasn't scratched once today, so I really don't think it's mites. But I bookmarked your link in case I ever do have to treat them!
The more I thought about it he's been jumpy since we brought our rescued Ringneck home( his name is Periwinkle) . The alarm call he makes is much like a smoke alarm noise to put it in perspective for you. But good news is when he did it today, Friar Tuck startled but then went right back to eating his hay, so he's getting used to it. Also, Periwinkle has been doing it a lot less as he's settled in. Hopefully it won't be an issue at all soon :)

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
One other silly question just out of curiosity: whenever I clean the cage or have my arm in there, Robin Hood often likes to come up and kind of slink/burrow under my arm. Then he sits there and purrs/rumbles lol . He's only about 4 months old and very playful. Any thoughts on what it means in guinea pig language?

Last edited:

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Robin Hood often likes to come up and kind of slink/burrow under my arm. Then he sits there and purrs/rumbles. Any thoughts on what it means in guinea pig language?

Absolutely none! ;) The behavior sounds absolutely adorable!

Don't believe what you read about rumbling and what it is "supposed" to mean. As an example, Sparky rumbles at virtually EVERYTHING and in all sorts of situations. In fact, we often call him "Mr. Rumbles" because it is his favorite and most frequent vocalization. He rumbles when he is happy, content, annoyed, posturing, being pet....or not, etc. etc. Of course, with time you will begin to hear the noise vary depending on what is happening at the moment.

We love, love the fact that he is so communicative with us and seems to have his own language. Nurture this little one! I'll just bet that he is going to grow up to be a big personality like Sparky. :love:

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
One other silly question just out of curiosity: whenever I clean the cage or have my arm in there, Robin Hood often likes to come up and kind of slink/burrow under my arm. Then he sits there and purrs/rumbles lol . He's only about 4 months old and very playful. Any thoughts on what it means in guinea pig language?

Rumbling can be good or bad depends on the situation and whats going on at the time, but as the piggies slave its up to you to interpret what it means. Every piggy is different tho so it can be one reason for one and could be the complete opposite for another. My piggy purrs mainly when he gets startled or hears load noises or yelling and it took me awhile to figure out what it meant. You are definitely on the right fourms tho these piggy slaves have taught me so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Absolutely none! ;) The behavior sounds absolutely adorable!

Don't believe what you read about rumbling and what it is "supposed" to mean. As an example, Sparky rumbles at virtually EVERYTHING and in all sorts of situations. In fact, we often call him "Mr. Rumbles" because it is his favorite and most frequent vocalization. He rumbles when he is happy, content, annoyed, posturing, being pet....or not, etc. etc. Of course, with time you will begin to hear the noise vary depending on what is happening at the moment.

We love, love the fact that he is so communicative with us and seems to have his own language. Nurture this little one! I'll just bet that he is going to grow up to be a big personality like Sparky. :love:

Thanks for your reply!!
Robin Hood sounds just like Sparky with his rumbles! It is adorable when he burrows under my arm to rumble. I wanted to make sure it was affection and he wasn't angry for some reason...but comparing him to Sparky it makes perfect sense! He does rumble when startled or irritated, but it's a different kind of rumble then this one. I think it's his way of purring.
He does have a big personality already! ❤️ We rescued him from a situation where he was bullied by two older guinea pigs, and he was underweight and sneezy. He recovered and filled out--- and we discovered his mighty personality! He's bold and mischievous...a perfect little outlaw, and since he likes to steal things into his house, Robin Hood became his name :)

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Rumbling can be good or bad depends on the situation and whats going on at the time, but as the piggies slave its up to you to interpret what it means. Every piggy is different tho so it can be one reason for one and could be the complete opposite for another. My piggy purrs mainly when he gets startled or hears load noises or yelling and it took me awhile to figure out what it meant. You are definitely on the right fourms tho these piggy slaves have taught me so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, even my Friar Tuck and Robin Hood are very different from each other! I love all their different quirks :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.