Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals White Crust on Genital Area on 11 week old female

Luv4Pigs

Cavy Gazer
So,

I am just curious as to what this could be? I've noticed it a few times here and there.

Before I start - I already know about the plug. That isn't my concern, it's the very white small bits on the plug and in random spots on her privates in the photo I'll be adding that is my concern.

So, I heard her squeak twice when she went to the bathroom (if she was pottying - i assume so as she was in her pan) and I picked her up and saw this which could of already been there. I don't see blood in her urine which is a normal orangy liquid color for a young pig.

I don't see any signs of sludge any where in her pan where she typically goes. Rarely does she go outside it and when she does, it's typical color, liquidy. No sludge look.

I don't feed too high in calcium vegetables. She gets green leaf, cucumber, etc

She's currently on a fungal medication for her skin and an antibiotic SMZ-TMP (Bactrim) for her URI. She has a check-up in 5 days with the vet. Can't get her in sooner either.

She's on fleece bedding which gets changed every 2 days depending if she's urinated. I have placement fleece, so usually I'll just pick up the soiled placement and put a clean one down without changing the whole bunch. But thorough change 1x a week, maybe 2.

So, I am wondering if this is normal for young pigs? If it is calcium, what do I do to help her or does she out grow this?

She has access to hay 24/7 and certain amount of pellets a day. She drinks plenty of water, no issues there. She gets her daily veggies 1x a day.

Other than this she is a very happy pig. Popcorns, chatters, eats, drinks, etc

Thanks in advance

Attachments

IMG_6628.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She's too young to be worrying about calcium. It would be EXCEEDINGLY rare for a pig that young to have problems with stones. And she should be on unlimited pellets until she's six months old.

I'd guess it's fungal, as an antibiotic can frequently set off a fungal infection in the nether regions. You might try some of the medicine you're using for the skin fungus and see if it does anything.

Are you absolutely positive that's a female? Those look like burgeoning testicles to me, in which case the white stuff could be smegma. Some pigs do have ambiguous gentitalia which makes it hard to tell what they are. The acid test is the ability to extrude or feel a penis. See www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm.

Luv4Pigs

Cavy Gazer
Yes, I am pretty certain that she is a female. I pushed on her when I first got her and she had the typical Y shape. And the vet also pushed and poked around further just to be certain that she is indeed a girl. But, over the last week or so she's been changing a bit down there... getting the mucus plug for one which I know is part of her maturing/cycling. She's always had little bits of white here and there on that region but not this much. I will post a photo from last week when I first started to notice the change before the mucus plug developed and she didn't have any of the white crust.

IMG_6561.jpg

I also don't want to think that she has an issue with stones. I've checked her litter pan and fleece for blood, and when she does urinate outside her pan, the few times she does, the stains are orangy/yellowy in color which is normal for a young pig. No red/pinks to indicate a problem. She's active, playful, she eats, drinks just fine.

However, I did find white dried urine on a darker fleece days ago (but all other fleece, also lighter in color, show orangish yellow). I guess either her urine dried white or this is what is causing the white specks on her lower area.

She's on paper pellets that I fill about 2" deep that I change every 2 days as she tends to lay on them from time to time and I want to keep it clean. Every pig I've owned has basically chilled in their pan so I am assuming this is normal. But she just started doing this after her URI and I've been keeping the room warmer than normal as it gets quite cold here lately. I keep it at about 75 F so I think maybe that is another reason as the pellets may be cooler than fleece. However, she does quite often lay else where in her hut, etc.

And yes I am with you on the calcium - I didn't think I had to worry about it, her being young and needing calcium for growth but I guess it could be possible?

Anywho, thank you again :)
IMG_6548.jpg

Luv4Pigs

Cavy Gazer
I forgot to add that the fungal/yeast medication she is on is an oral. She's been on that about 2 weeks or so now and has 2 weeks to go as it's a 4 week course. So I would assume that would resolve any other fungal/yeast issue as it's been doing wonders for her the skin issue she had when I brought her home.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I don't know about the crust, if it is fungal you're right that her other medication would likely help with it- I just wanted to say that 75 degrees is basically the maximum temperature that can be comfortable for a piggy, and so if you're keeping it "around" 75 she's likely uncomfortable a portion of the time. I'd recommend keeping it around 73 instead if you can handle it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@jaycriae, where did you get that information?

Guinea pigs, unless they're skinnies, are basically little balls of fat and fur, and they're actually quite comfortable with the temperature anywhere in the 60s. Our house is always below 70, summer or winter.

So, [MENTION=39224]Luv4Pigs[/MENTION], there's no need to keep the heat that high. That said, 75 is not a problem for them. The danger for them starts in the mid-eighties, where they're prone to heat stroke.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I'm fairly certain I've seen that information on this forum before. I'm aware that 75 degrees isn't actually dangerous, but thought it would be unpleasant.

I recommended only a little lower because the way OP phrased it sounded like the high heat was for the humans' benefit, not the pigs'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.