Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Animal Welfare I am determined to do something about this pet store.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@Kota12 The petsmart near me is okay. They people there actually know what they're talking about. The pigs always have hay, clean cages etc. I've never seen a sick animal there. One of the assistants even has a c&c cage, and they've never recommended a bad product to me (not that I buy there anymore). At least they only sell males where I am. Unlike pj's.

GOOD NEWS! I found how to submit a story to my local paper! Can anyone help me formulate something to submit? I really want it to get published. I'm going to at least try and get my message out.

doglaurasmudge

Cavy Slave
I'm not the best at writing things but you could send this to the reporter:

Yesterday (or whenever it was) I was buying ____ at PJ's Pets and I noticed horrifying conditions. The water was disgusting, they had no hay which they need 24/7 hours a day as it helps wear down their teeth and has a nutritional value and they were housed with rabbits. Rabbits and guinea pigs CAN NOT live with each other at all due to the rabbits powerful legs against such a small body could kill it if it gets scared and kicks out. I find this needs to be changed and wish to get the word out. These are living, breathing creatures who deserve the best and whose life's are worth the same as ours. They depend on their staff who are uneducated and didn't try to help me or with the animals. The products they suggest are NOT the best.

(Rough daft, not very good I know, but you adapt it and change it!)

doglaurasmudge

Cavy Slave
If your actually writing the article and submitting it to them and they shall change certain views, then that's not what the above is ;P The above is something you could send to the author of the article so they know roughly about it.

Kota12

Cavy Slave
Oh @madelineelaine My Petsmart does sell only males too. One of the employees recommended Vita-drops because she uses them for her piggy. I hope you come out with a GREAT letter!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Oh @madelineelaine One of the employees recommended Vita-drops because she uses them for her piggy.

You might want to mention to that employee that vita-drops (or any vit c drops for water) are useless. They dissipate almost immediately in water and weaken even more in the light making them useless to even put in the water in the first place. They also may flavor the water which can cause pigs to drink less of it.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I am not afraid to stand up for what I believe in. And it really ticks me off when people assume I'm a mindless teenager merely following the trends. Because I'm not. I'm passionate. And someone has to stand up for the little guys. If that needs to be me, then I'm more than willing to do it.

I always correct people at pet stores, and I may come off as a know it all, but I know a heck of a lot more then most people do about small pets. I'm formulating what I'm going to write to the paper, I'm hoping to send it to multiple ones, hopefully it gets published at least some where.

LeePetVet

Cavy Slave
@madelineelaine I once spotted a piggie with a crusty eye at petco I told the guy who was feeding the pigs and he took that pig out of the pig exhibit as soon as I said so.

Sorcha

Cavy Slave
The Petco near me is like that as well. They actually know what they're talking about (Well at least with the "rodent" type animals. I don't know how they are with the others.). I've heard them tell people that the drops are useless, hamster balls are dangerous, recommend the proper pellets, tell people not to buy certain foods/treats, they can actually sex a guinea pig. The cages are always clean, they always have clean water, hay, pellets, they give them veggies.
The one time I saw a sick/injured guinea pig limping I told a guy and he went with me over to the cage so I could show him which one it was. He told me to tell him what I saw before I went and got him.

The Petsmart near me is awful. I've seen several issues with the animals and the workers don't really do anything when you tell them. I saw a dead guinea pig in one of the cages once and I told someone, she said she'd take care of it and when I left it was still there.
They give false information and tried to sell people a hamster ball, wheel for a guinea pig. I went over and told them that they can damage their spine, feet. That their spine can't bend that way. Then proceeded to argue with the guy who had been "helping" them. I ended up helping the people pick out the rest of the things for their guinea pig.

Lovecraft

Cavy Slave
If you have a cell phone with a camera (and the laws of your state allow for it), you could probably snap some pictures really easily. "Awww! Your piggies are so cute! Do you mind if I take their picture?" Send those pictures to the paper along with your letter/article as solid evidence that the situation is really awful. Be careful doing this though, and try to get permission if you can, because depending on where you live, taking pictures inside a private business without permission can land you in some muck.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
It's sad really. It depends on the pet store. I don't want to group every pet store as bad, because some genuinely aren't. I hate how people assume that. But it's important to note that MOST are horrific.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.