Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Is this normal?

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
I have 4 sow's in the same cage and they have a 32oz water bottle. They drink the entire bottle of water in 24 hrs or less. Is this normal for 4 sow's? I'm thinking they are drinking too much water.

My 2 boars don't even drink an entire 8oz bottle in 24 hrs.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My money says they're playing with the water bottle, or it's leaking.

Chipotle123

Cavy Slave
It depends. They are either A. Really active and thirsty, B. Letting their water drip, or C. You bought a leaky water bottle. And you also have 4 sows. And I don't think they can drink too much water. But if anyone want's to correct me on this they can, but I think it's either A,B,C.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think they could just be playing with the water bottle, my girl Gigi loves to play with theirs. Or it is leaky, But If you haven't noticed it by now then It might not be.

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
It depends. They are either A. Really active and thirsty, B. Letting their water drip, or C. You bought a leaky water bottle. And you also have 4 sows. And I don't think they can drink too much water. But if anyone want's to correct me on this they can, but I think it's either A,B,C.

When I bought the water bottle it was fine. It never leaked. So maybe they are just playing with it then

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
I think they could just be playing with the water bottle, my girl Gigi loves to play with theirs. Or it is leaky, But If you haven't noticed it by now then It might not be.

I don't think it's leaking cause I've checked. I've even put my hand under it and it wasn't dripping.

Thumper27

Cavy Slave
They're mostly likely playing in it, I have a piggie that loves to do that

Lisa21264

Cavy Slave
My Terra plays with his water. I thought he was diabetic. Then saw him playing with the bottle.

ZenMama

Cavy Slave
I wonder if Chelsea was dehydrated, diabetic, or played with the bottle. She drank a lot. When she was alive, we filled the bottle twice a day. Now with just Gretel, we still wash the bottle and change the water every day, but she doesn't even drink half a bottle usually. I believe the one we have is 16oz.

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
My girls are constantly drinking cause the water bottle makes a loud sound while they are drinking the water. It's just weird that they drink so much

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have 2 sows and each has a water bottle. I have noticed in summer when it is so hot they drink alot of water. Sometimes I would have to change the bottles twice a day. Now that it is getting cooler they are not drinking as much.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
My boys usually drink about 16 or so oz a day, sometimes a bit less and sometimes they play with it. One bottle in particular out of the two I know they play with because the stone underneath is usually wet.

I have noticed though that my boys generally only drink after eating and when they've been playing and had their zoomie fix.

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
My girls are constantly drinking cause the water bottle makes a loud sound while they are drinking the water. It's just weird that they drink so much

Mine also makes a lot of noise and it looks like Sniper is standing their drinking the bottle empty but all he is doing is making a noise and a mess! He lets the water drip down his chin! We found this out after my hubby spend a day at home and he hear the noise and realized Sniper was drinking but then a couple of minutes later he was back again and again. So my hubby got closer to watch and after one episode picked Sniper up and found him to be soaking wet!! We have fleece so the water just wicks away and by the time I am home I do not notice it cause Sniper has dried off as well! We got another bottle that makes no noise and we find that Sniper will drink from that bottle but still play with the other one....for who know what reason! We are yet to see Abby drink from either bottle!

pinky

Cavy Slave
You can tell if they're playing with it if the fleece is wet under the bottle. I have a couple that try and make noise with the bottle to get my attention. If I walk over there, they stop. I think I've probably given them a snack when I go there and it's reinforced behavior now.

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
I have 2 sows and each has a water bottle. I have noticed in summer when it is so hot they drink alot of water. Sometimes I would have to change the bottles twice a day. Now that it is getting cooler they are not drinking as much.

Oh ok. That's true about the summer. Thanks

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
Mine also makes a lot of noise and it looks like Sniper is standing their drinking the bottle empty but all he is doing is making a noise and a mess! He lets the water drip down his chin! We found this out after my hubby spend a day at home and he hear the noise and realized Sniper was drinking but then a couple of minutes later he was back again and again. So my hubby got closer to watch and after one episode picked Sniper up and found him to be soaking wet!! We have fleece so the water just wicks away and by the time I am home I do not notice it cause Sniper has dried off as well! We got another bottle that makes no noise and we find that Sniper will drink from that bottle but still play with the other one....for who know what reason! We are yet to see Abby drink from either bottle!

Lol that's cute. Maybe that's what my girls are doing. I'm thinking to buy a new water bottle soon and see if that changes anything.

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
You can tell if they're playing with it if the fleece is wet under the bottle. I have a couple that try and make noise with the bottle to get my attention. If I walk over there, they stop. I think I've probably given them a snack when I go there and it's reinforced behavior now.

Oh ok. Yea my girls stop when I walk over to the cage. It's so weird

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
Oh ok. Yea my girls stop when I walk over to the cage. It's so weird
-- not weird at all....the masters have spoken and the slave complied and arrived to do her due diligence and serve them! You didn't REALLY think you are their mommy did you? you are their SLAVE! hahahahahahah just joking with you!

mommmyof2

Cavy Slave
-- not weird at all....the masters have spoken and the slave complied and arrived to do her due diligence and serve them! You didn't REALLY think you are their mommy did you? you are their SLAVE! hahahahahahah just joking with you!

Lol that's funny

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.