Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Cheap Bedding in bulk

gigi_piggy

Cavy Slave
What bedding do you guys recommend that is cheap (inexpensive but good quality) and I can get in bulk?
I live in Puerto Rico and I get my bedding from pet smart and I buy the Grreat Quality Aspen one, it is $12 for 2 cubic ft. I know it isn't the best, but its what i can get. It lasts around 3 cage changes. I want one that comes in a big bag that lasts, and is affordable. Any suggestions?

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Fleece with uhaul is what we use.

Many here have been going to wood pellets with a thin layer of fleece overtop.

gigi_piggy

Cavy Slave
Yes I tried fleece for a few months. Personally,it didn't work for me, it was too messy and it used up too mucb water. Also, my pigs seem to prefer aspen wood shavings over fleece.

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
Yes I tried fleece for a few months. Personally,it didn't work for me, it was too messy and it used up too mucb water. Also, my pigs seem to prefer aspen wood shavings over fleece.
Why not just wood pellets? They're extremely cheap, you can go weeks (even months) without changing them, and you don't need to have fleece over top of them.

gigi_piggy

Cavy Slave
I was looking at that as an option. I think I'll go with wood pellets, thank you very much. :)

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
You can't go weeks or months with wood pellets without the fleece layer. The poop would accumulate and have to be removed. You can shake poops off the fleece.

gigi_piggy

Cavy Slave
I was looking at that as an option. I think I'll go with wood pellets, thank you very much. :) (sorry didn't mean to post again)

gigi_piggy

Cavy Slave
You can't go weeks or months with wood pellets without the fleece layer. The poop would accumulate and have to be removed. You can shake poops off the fleece.
I didn't know that, thank you for the info.

gigi_piggy

Cavy Slave
If I did use fleece on top of the pellets how often would I have to wash the fleece?

ArcanaNoir

Cavy Slave
If I did use fleece on top of the pellets how often would I have to wash the fleece?

That will depend on cage size, number of pigs, whether you put down mats under their houses or other pee-prone areas, etc. But usually about once per week.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
But keep in mind it is a single layer of fleece, not multiple layers. The pellets themselves are the absorption layer. And the fleece isn't necessary

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Absolutely you can go weeks without changing the cage if you use wood pellets without fleece. How long you can go depends on how deep you make the pellet layer, but you can just stir the pellets and keep going for quite a while.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.