Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General constipated guinea pig

colly43

Cavy Slave
my guinea girl Betty had constipation twice & now she's feeling less "windy & bloated"[emoji847]; but can l give her Yakult?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

samsterlacci

Cavy Slave
my guinea girl Betty had constipation twice & now she's feeling less "windy & bloated"[emoji847]; but can l give her Yakult?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I would recommend using ?Mineral Oil? to push out any fecal matter that can irritate your guinea pig. That?s what I had to do for my 5yr old and it worked great and improved his mood instantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Yakult contains milk so no it is not okay for guinea pigs. Instead you can get acidophilus tablets or powder, if you get tablets you can open the capsules to get the powder out. Mix this powder with a bit of water and use a needless syringe to give it to her.

You can also get infant simethicone (from a regular pharmacy) to help with her gas, simethicone is not a medicine that can be reasonably overdosed so you don't have to worry about giving her too much if you stick with the infant dosing guides. You can also use a vibrating toothbrush or massage her stomach to help pass the gas.

Make sure she is still eating and maintaining her weight, as well as passing stools. If her appetite drops off you may have to start force feeding her https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html as guinea pigs need food constantly moving through their digestive system to keep it functioning correctly.

If she stops passing stools she will need to see a vet ASAP, as at that point she will be in a medical emergency, GI stasis. GI stasis must be treated as a matter of urgency because it can quickly turn fatal. A vet will be able to give her a motility drug to help her digestive system start moving properly again.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @Soecara.

I would not give either Yakult or mineral oil.

Why do you say she has constipation issues? It's very rare for a guinea pig to be constipated.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.