Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Our piggies lost interest in Veggies and Pellets overnight

Mike221

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

Our 2 piggies kind of lost interest in pellets completely and veggies partially.
We feed them only Oxbow hay, Oxbow pellets and fresh veggies ( we try to follow the diet table from this page so they get enough vitamin C and not too much calcium).
We also mix up those veggies as much as possible. ( DAILY: either green or red or romaine lettuce, yellow bell pepper, FEW TIMES PER WEEK: cilantro, parsley, cucumber, green and red bell pepper, baby carrot ONCE IN A WEEK OR TWO: brocculi, snacks such as apple, kiwi, strawberry).

Everything was good until couple of days ago. At the same time both pellet bag and hay bag got empty so we had to buy new ones.
Since we bought new pellet beg, they did not want to eat those. So I assumed they were stored badly or just gone bad. Expiry date is 2019.
So I went to other store and bought 1 more pellet bag with different expiry date and different batch. same thing, they are not eating.
My wife says they dont have as intensive smell like the old bags we had. They like almost have neutral smell.

Regarding veggies, they used to be sooo excited when the veggies would be served.
Now they eat them, but slowly throughout the day. And no real excitement.
Cilantro is their favorite, everything else not so much anymore.

So we are a bit worried here.
Are we overfeeding them?
In the morning they get fresh hay, water, veggies and 2 tbs of pellets.
In the evening they get fresh hay, water and 2 tbs of pellets.

And they were fed the same amount for the last couple of months.
They are both around 9 months old now and still growing.
We weight them weekly. One is 1150g and other one 1050g.
They havent lost any weight so far.

I've attached couple of pictures just to show the amount of food they are getting.
Should we feed them only hay for a couple of days? Maybe they will miss veggies?
Any other idea?

Thanks for reading.

a.jpgb.jpgc.jpgd.jpg

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Maybe it only seems like they've lost interest in the pellets. Give them time. Maybe they'll start eating them again. It sounds like you are doing everything right. As long as they are eating unlimited hay and 1cup of veg per pig per day, they will be fine. Pellets are not that important, they're just supplements. Some owners choose not to feed pellets, and their pigs are perfectly fine and healthy. If they choose to ignore the pellets and never eat them again, that's fine. Just make sure they are getting unlimited hay, veggies, and fresh water everyday.

Mike221

Cavy Slave
Maybe only give them the pellets once a day. I feed my pigs their veggies once in the morning and then again in the evening. I split the portions into two feedings just like you do.
I do feed them their pellets in the morning only. Usually it takes them an hour or so to finish the dish.

Just a curious questions, is it quite warm where you are living? I've noticed my pigs eat just a little less in the warmer weather.

Well we live in Canada, but the summer is here so it is a bit warmer for the last two weeks.
Hmmm that could be the reason I guess as well.

I will try with pellets only once per day and spliting veggies twice per day in smaller amounts.
So far they got veggies only in the morning.

Thanks for the replies

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I've tried feeding on all different schedules and prefer the one that I'm currently using. The thing you need to remember is that it is too long from dinner to breakfast for them and they need to have something available to eat on their schedule.

In the past, I fed veggies twice a day and put the pellets in the cage so they could have something to snack on overnight. Twice a day veggies meant that we were Cavy Slaves in that someone had to be here to feed them and if we were away, no one wanted to stop by twice a day.

When we acquired our little boys, they had never had anything but hay and pellets and we were determined NOT to feed veggies that often. We feed veggies around 5pm and in the darker months, they sometimes go to bed really early. Now that it stays light longer, they stay up for lap time, but generally fall asleep during that process. I do occasionally give them a treat during the day (Sparky generally asks for his between 2-3pm).

I'm probably the only person whose cavies have 24/7 access to pellets.........and they aren't overweight. They tend to eat them in the morning and then graze periodically during the rest of the day. They eat their fair share of hay as well, so I'm not worried about the teeth. My two previous cavies were fed lots of veggies morning and evening......and didn't consume enough hay and water as a consequence.

It's really a matter of experimenting with what works for you.....and your piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.