Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals I need help determining my guinea pigs gender!!

salty_cavy

Cavy Slave
Please tell me which is which. The pet store said they were both males, but I'm not sure IMG_2696.jpgIMG_2698.jpg

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
They definitely both look like males to me.

wombats

Cavy Slave
Yea...looking at the guinealnyx website and comparing them to my piggy, who is DEFINITELY a guy (he's got some very, uh, prominent testes and looks just like yours) they look male to me.

That's good to hear, at least, as you've been having dominance issues which everyone already discussed. Just make sure if they're still seperated to maybe wait until you get the bigger cage together (remember, it has to be the equivalent of a 2x5 c and c) and do introductions again before you put them together. Their dominance, which was almost nonexistant anyway, will need to be reformed. If all goes well (meaning they don't draw blood and are calm) put them in the cage together and don't seperate them again unless they draw blood. If you keep seperating them it'll continue to mess with their dominance and will only cause them more stress. (that said, you still did good by seperating them beforehand, when you weren't sure of the gender. That was good. :) It's much better to be safe than sorry)

But best of luck with these two...at least now this explains why they were having such kerfuffles. Hopefully with time, space, and effort, these two will learn to get along. :)

salty_cavy

Cavy Slave
Yea...looking at the guinealnyx website and comparing them to my piggy, who is DEFINITELY a guy (he's got some very, uh, prominent testes and looks just like yours) they look male to me.

That's good to hear, at least, as you've been having dominance issues which everyone already discussed. Just make sure if they're still seperated to maybe wait until you get the bigger cage together (remember, it has to be the equivalent of a 2x5 c and c) and do introductions again before you put them together. Their dominance, which was almost nonexistant anyway, will need to be reformed. If all goes well (meaning they don't draw blood and are calm) put them in the cage together and don't seperate them again unless they draw blood. If you keep seperating them it'll continue to mess with their dominance and will only cause them more stress. (that said, you still did good by seperating them beforehand, when you weren't sure of the gender. That was good. :) It's much better to be safe than sorry)

But best of luck with these two...at least now this explains why they were having such kerfuffles. Hopefully with time, space, and effort, these two will learn to get along. :)

Thank you, very good to hear :)

GiuneaPigLover

Cavy Slave
You can also press softly right above their privates and if a penis pops out you truly have boys if not then separate.
Hope this helps

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
"...balls hanging down..." Those are called testicles. Testicles, for goodness sake! Just say it!

Cute pigs, and it's nice to actually have a video, but why are those pigs living in small pet store cages?

surlypiggy

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.