Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Lump-like thing on her side?

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
For the past few days while looking at Tigger, and she has had fur sticking up on the side of her body. I watched her for a bit and realized that she was chewing on her side. On further investigation, I found a small lump (probably the size of a pimple) and it's driving me crazy! There is no hair loss around it, there are no other ones on her body, and the vet says its nothing. However, it's still bothering me.

Is there anything I can do to make it less uncomfortable for Tigger?
Thanks

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Glad you had her vet checked. Just watch it. Make sure it doesnt change or get bigger. If it does grow, watch for it to abcess or break open on its on.
If that does happen she may need antibiotics or cleaning out.

Lovecraft

Cavy Slave
The vet said it was nothing? I'm sorry but I hate when vets (and human doctors) do that. Maybe it's nothing to worry about, maybe it's nothing that you need to do anything for, but it's very clearly SOMETHING. Even if they said "oh, it's just a pimple" that would be better than "oh, it's nothing." If it was NOTHING, you wouldn't have noticed it in the first place.

Rant over.

Anyway, I agree with [MENTION=1635]suzilovespiggie[/MENTION]; keep an eye on that. It's probably nothing you need to worry about but...it's something. Keep up your regular weigh-ins too, and report to your vet if there's any significant fluctuations.

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The vet said it was nothing? I'm sorry but I hate when vets (and human doctors) do that. Maybe it's nothing to worry about, maybe it's nothing that you need to do anything for, but it's very clearly SOMETHING. Even if they said "oh, it's just a pimple" that would be better than "oh, it's nothing." If it was NOTHING, you wouldn't have noticed it in the first place.

Rant over.

Anyway, I agree with @suzilovespiggie ; keep an eye on that. It's probably nothing you need to worry about but...it's something. Keep up your regular weigh-ins too, and report to your vet if there's any significant fluctuations.

I know! I was just like "Really?!? I take my guinea pig to you and you say that a bump on her side is nothing?" Unfortunately it is the only exotic animal vet around here so I guess I will have to keep going there.

On the positive side, my guinea-pig savvy friend said it's probably just a little pimple or skin bump, nothing serious. Phew!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.