Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Towels How many towels under fleece?

fiers

Cavy Gazer
Every fleece article is incredibly vague about this subject for some reason? They just say things like "two layers of towels under fleece." But how many is that? Are they folded or just layed out flat? Please be more descriptive in your articles!!

Anyways, the cage is a 2x3 c&c cage. It will only have one older(8 yrs i think?) guinea pig as my stepmom refuses on another. I would just try it out and see what works but i fear not doing it correctly and zuzu has to go back in her tiny 30g aquarium because my stepmom doesnt like it(and its her guinea pig so I cant really do anything about it .-.).

(a little note about zuzu. shes a rescue from the day care my stepmom works at. she was the only one who took care of zuzu and she took her home at thanksgiving because her boss was going to leave zuzu for the entire 4 day weekend(with chance of snow) and not care for her, and she never went back. Sadly its taken this long for my stepmom to buy fleece(she would not let me buy it and we only got it bc it was on sale for $12 for 2 and a half yards)).

Thank you in advance!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not rocket science, and there's no specific formula. You need enough towels to absorb the urine. If the towels are thin, or don't absorb well, fold them or use more. If they're very absorbent, use fewer. Test it out before you put in the cage, and you should have an idea of how many you'll need to make it work.

fiers

Cavy Gazer
Thats honestly a little rudely worded wow. While you did give some good info, you didnt fully answer my question so let me reword it. About how many towels will it take from experience? How many do others use in their cages? ect ect ect.
I should have said this before, but I know that towels absorb differently and the best way to go about it is trial and error. I really just want to know about how many it should take and flat vs folded so i know where to start from and to help make sure she gets to actually live in the cage, you know? Like ive kinda always read it as "two layers of folded towels" for some reason and I just didnt feel that was right(would be a much taller pile than what people have in their cages)(note i mean folded more than once like what you would put nicely on a shelf).
Sorry

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I didn't mean to be rude. i was just trying to say there's really no right or wrong way to do it.

There are a bunch of people who use towels. If they all chime in, I think you'll find about what I said -- some fold, some don't, some use thin towels, some use thick ones. My guess is that if you've got a good thick absorbent towel one would be enough if you put additional toweling under the places where they pee the most.

paperjamjordan

Cavy Slave
post2.jpg

After 20,000+ posts, how are you not aware of how you come across to new people?

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
@fiers I believe most bath towels measure slightly larger than a 2x3 C&C (although check before you buy). My recommendation is to start with 3 towels. If your pig makes a mess more or less evenly, lay the 3 towels flat and fold a little at the edges to fit the cage if needed. If your pig has a preferred potty spot (like mine), lay 2 flat and fold 1 in half on the potty spot to create 4 layers there.

Hope it works out! Mine loved switching to fleece.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I used to use towels, after first trying puppy training pads, before I finally switched to high volume incontinence bed pads. In my experience it varies way too much to give a clear cut answer.

For example one of my pairs drinks a very large amount of water, and as such they urinate a lot, so they needed at least three ideally four layers of thick to average thickness towels under the fleece. Another pair drinks very little and don't urinate as much, so they only needed one layer of thick or two layers of average thickness towels under the fleece. Sometimes when I would pick up towels from the second hand store they would be quite thin so I would use three layers of them for the pair who don't urinate much and just skip them entirely for some of the other pairs as I would need way too many.

Last edited:

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
Our girls mostly "go" in their kitchen area or in their hideys. In the hideys we have small pee pads made with one layer of towel. In the rest of the cage (except the kitchen) we do one layer of towel, just layed flat and there's 2 layers of fleece over top. We use "extra absorbant" towels, so they're a bit fluffier than a lot of towels, idk if it really makes a difference though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.